Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-24-2020, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Where to put Sound Libraries?

Hey everyone,

Thanks for chiming in. I'll add a few details...

Yes, the 8TB is a single Apple installed SSD (I don't know if it's an actual SSD Drive or just Flash Memory installed at the factory). I'm not talking about installed RAM (I just went with the default 32GB, as I will be buying more RAM from third parties).

One of the reasons I went with such a huge "SSD" is primarily due to Kontakt libraries. I'm sure many of you are aware of how large these libraries are getting. Some reaching 250GB (or more) per library. So, I wanted a huge storage area, because I think it's a more elegant solution for Kontakt for all of their "Libraries" (the ones that use Kontakt Player and automatically show up in the left pane of Kontakt) to be in one place. Also, these libraries are pretty much read-only, so it's not like I'll be writing there. Also, these are pretty much easy to re-download if something crashed.

So, if I want the Kontakt libraries all in one place, it's either get a huge Apple-installed SSD like I did, or buy a 8TB OWC and not using it in raid (because raid knocks down the available space because of the way raid works, doesn't it?). The OWC isn't cheap and takes up PCIe card space.

Yes, I could also get a bunch of M.2 cards, but that would also eat up card space, whereas buying Apple installed, all the card slots are still open.

I will be booting up the computer for the first time later today, so I will see if I can partition the "SSD" as you would a normal SSD or HD, simply for organizational and/or backup purposes. I just didn't know whether putting any sound libraries in some place other than their default system location slows down access or anything. Probably not.

Thanks for your input so far!
Old 05-24-2020, 01:09 PM

One thing about the Internal Apple drive is that it's encrypted by default, and the T2 chip implementation , I believe, prevents you from using it in another machine, or replacing it (unless at an Apple store?) So it's just a potential (but not likely) PITA.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:12 PM

Yes, I think that might be the case.

BTW, if I didn't say it upthread, I'll be using M.2 cards for client files; they'll never go on the internal, which I would reserve for System, Apps, Sound Libraries.