Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 AM

Default What do guys think?

I will make clear that I have had some serious thoughts about where I am with Pro Tools and moving to other DAWs, trying Reaper, etc... and at least for now I am staying here. As much as I earlier stated that I wanted a simpler and more stable DAW I find that as I spend more time really working on my current project, that Pro Tools offers a work flow and editing tools that I like. Studio One looks really good, but I am not an early adopter so I'll give it a coupla years before I re-invest.

That said, with all the hints that DigiTechSupt has dropped, does anyone else think that there is a new version of PT coming on a new code? And how does the recent bailouts of Digi/Air biggies play into your thoughts?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Re: What do guys think?

they really really need to come up with something that works. its getting silly now. ive been taking a serious look at presonus studio 1 lately.

as far as digi/air team members leaving, well its no big deal i dont think. fresh blood could be what they need. i dont think ive used the new air plugins once TBH (after initial tests), they just sit in my unused folder
Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 AM

Sticking with LE for some time - but serious beta testing of Record is certainly nice for some parts.

Cheers,
/ J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 07-16-2009, 01:15 PM

For what one guy's opinion is worth, mine really really DOES work, and this with
8 LE/002 R on a two-year old machine (read-obsolete!). I count on this thing for making a living, and if it didn't work, I would use something else.

"And that's all I have to say about that!" Forrest Gump
Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
For what one guy's opinion is worth, mine really really DOES work, and this with
8 LE/002 R on a two-year old machine (read-obsolete!). I count on this thing for making a living, and if it didn't work, I would use something else.

I'm w/SW...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-16-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Same here, myself and two other engineers earn a decent living here, and mostly on of PTLE systems. We hardly ever fire up HD anymore. That being said I do have concerns for the future. I don't believe Digidesign can sustain on this old code forever, and even at the cost of backward compatibility this old code needs to become part of history.

Fastermouse, If someone with the inside scoop can answer this; I would be as interested as you to hear the answer.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-16-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post

Fastermouse, If someone with the inside scoop can answer this; I would be as interested as you to hear the answer.
I mean really, if som1 had the answer to this it would be a 100,000 page thread already goin on... Digi of course has said as much as they're gonna say so really its about one wanted to work with what they have & believe in what they are sayin is comin on just move on to something new of choice...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM

Besides which, if memory serves (which sometimes it doesn't, I can't remember), we were all waiting for 7.5, and then, BAM, here comes 8 instead. So maybe they're up to more than they're willing to talk about.....
Old 07-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Besides which, if memory serves (which sometimes it doesn't, I can't remember), we were all waiting for 7.5, and then, BAM, here comes 8 instead. So maybe they're up to more than they're willing to talk about.....
Yeah ur rite...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM

I don't have a very well-developed grapevine anymore, but what I have heard is that 2010 will feature a new Pro Tools architecture. This was also suggested by Tex Schencken (sp?) the head of Avid Audio. He said "over the next 9-18 months you'll see us heading in the right direction" a month ago.

My understanding is earlier in the year it was hoped they'd have something for AES, then it slipped all the way to NAB, then there were murmurs about it possibly showing up at Winter NAMM, but I'm going to go long and suggest AES 2010 as the time the new Pro Tools will actually appear. (That is an SF show which is cheap for Digi to make a fuss at since the employees can sleep in their own beds.)

Studio One and Record will have probably been established by then, and Reaper for Mac may also be established, possibly with feature parity with PT8 and migration toolkits (for mapping key shortcuts etc.). It will be quite easy to undercut and overdeliver PT8 between now and October 2010 if that's how long it's going to take them to ship.

Under the circumstances, I think product preannouncements (like Studio One and Record have done, yes even in the Sarbanes Oxley era ) may be advisable to shore up the wavering clientele. It's conceivable that Winter NAMM will be the pre-announcement, and it's also possible that Digi will do something they've never done, a public beta, across much of 2010. This is because they are taking massive incoming and the scales are falling from the industry's eyes.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.