Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-13-2023, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Batch Renaming Bug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
How does it choose which clip to pull the file name from?
But it does know which clip to pull the name from. When double-clicking clips on the timeline, the "name clip only" and "name clip and disk file" options only show up when the clip includes all of the parent file. Those options aren't present when the clip contains only a portion of the parent file. So Pro Tools DOES know when the clip is the same as the parent file and could present that option. Since Batch Clip Rename could contain a combinations of sub-clips and full-file clips, there could be options like "rename clip and disk files where possible", "rename clips only", and "warn when some disk files cannot be renamed" etc.; similar to the renaming options at the bottom of the Export Clips as Files dialog box.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
...How does it choose which clip to pull the file name from? A million dialog "replace this" windows....
Nope - Pro Tools "knows" when you've selected a clip or a complete file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
... there could be options like "rename clip and disk files where possible", "rename clips only", and "warn when some disk files cannot be renamed" etc.; similar to the renaming options at the bottom of the Export Clips as Files dialog box.
Yes, exactly. A single checkbox (or multiple options) in the Batch Rename dialog handles it and gives the user sufficient control. Anyway, it's something we've been requesting ever since the Batch Rename function came out (especially the film/post users), but I doubt Avid's listening or will change it. Oh well...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-14-2023, 12:31 PM

File x = "A.wav"

Clip a (by batch rename) = "A-1"
Clip b (by batch rename) = "A-2"

When you batch rename clip a and b,

Which filename does file x become:

"A-1.wav" or "A-2.wav"?

If you don't see the defeat of logic here, you don't get what I mean by "hence, a feature needs requested, there is no bug".

I am saying the feature as described is even buggy and doesn't make sense.

Batch renames works perfectly imo.

When I rename a whole file clip because "PT knows", I definitely get the option, "rename just clip or clip and file".

What is the bug????

Ah! The feature needs to be understood as "batch clip rename" and "batch export" as the file-name-creator. That's how I use it anyway.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 01-14-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
File x = "A.wav"

Clip a (by batch rename) = "A-1"
Clip b (by batch rename) = "A-2"

When you batch rename clip a and b,

Which filename does file x become:

"A-1.wav" or "A-2.wav"?
Neither. Those are both partial file clips so they don't become filenames.
This is exactly how Pro Tools already works with naming.

You fail to understand Pro Tools already has an established logic (and has for a very long, long time.) And that same logic can be used for batch rename.

Batch clip rename wastes a ton of time for us that work in big projects and with a large amount of files. We currently have to batch clip rename and then go back, reselect all the files and pull up rename and hit enter over (and over and over again) until all the clip names get committed to the filenames. There is no auto way to do that and it can be 1000s of enters just to get through a small television show episode (and pro tools isn't exactly responsive to repetitive enters so there's a delay between each.)
And we can do that multiple times a day. Giant waste of time when either a checkbox can be put on batch rename or a second "commit clip names to files" feature could be added.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

You fail to understand Pro Tools already has an established logic (and has for a very long, long time.) And that same logic can be used for batch rename.

Batch clip rename wastes a ton of time for us that work in big projects and with a large amount of files. We currently have to batch clip rename and then go back, reselect all the files and pull up rename and hit enter over (and over and over again) until all the clip names get committed to the filenames. There is no auto way to do that and it can be 1000s of enters just to get through a small television show episode (and pro tools isn't exactly responsive to repetitive enters so there's a delay between each.)
And we can do that multiple times a day. Giant waste of time when either a checkbox can be put on batch rename or a second "commit clip names to files" feature could be added.
For one, I understood that perfectly and prefer the one file not have two names -rhetorically.-

For two, I understood and agreed and asserted (on side with everyone else, if you notice) a feature should be requested.

You fail to understand there is no bug, if we're both failing to understand things here. Desired features and existing features are different than a crash or a glitch or an error.

That's a simple fact. No argument with facts. It's not a theory or opinion.
I'm trying to simply explain the logic works for me, and I simply asked questions about how to implement the logic.

To be called "wrong for asking a question" --- go away with that unproductive manner, please.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 01-15-2023, 03:06 AM

In this discussion, it is essential to understand that renaming a clip won't create or rename any file, just the clip itself, which does not (except in the case of whole file) exist physically, only in PT session. So renaming clips won't cause any confusion in file structure.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
... prefer the one file not have two names....
That's not possible and wouldn't happen. Please note the difference between clips and whole files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

...Giant waste of time when either a checkbox can be put on batch rename or a second "commit clip names to files" feature could be added.
^^^^ Yes, exactly. I think this horse has been beaten enough ;-)

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-16-2023, 04:13 PM

So you all want an additional feature?

Or there is a error/bug/broken feature?

Everyone is blocking me out when I simply have questions.

Is there something that is supposed to be working that is not working?

Or do you want an ability, IF a clip is a whole file, not a portion of a file, you could "tick a box" and get the clip that represents a whole file and that filename to change, you would be happy?

That is VERY different than calling a perfectly good clip rename function "buggy".

"Not matching desire" does not = bug. Asking questions should be better received than the above thread.

For the record, I asked some specific case scenarios for renaming, NOBODY answered my questions, but remember, I used question marks and got back comments like I was making assumptions. I was seriously curious, and I do have the opinion there is no bug, and I confirm again I'm with you if you want additional features.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
So you all want an additional feature?

Or there is a error/bug/broken feature?

Everyone is blocking me out when I simply have questions.

Is there something that is supposed to be working that is not working?

Or do you want an ability, IF a clip is a whole file, not a portion of a file, you could "tick a box" and get the clip that represents a whole file and that filename to change, you would be happy?

That is VERY different than calling a perfectly good clip rename function "buggy".

"Not matching desire" does not = bug. Asking questions should be better received than the above thread.

For the record, I asked some specific case scenarios for renaming, NOBODY answered my questions, but remember, I used question marks and got back comments like I was making assumptions. I was seriously curious, and I do have the opinion there is no bug, and I confirm again I'm with you if you want additional features.
I think it would be better described as an incomplete implementation that doesn't follow previously established Pro Tools logic with respect to clip and file renaming.

Here is a real-world use case scenario. Session is set to Interleaved. Multiple print tracks are setup to record multiple mixes and stems in a single pass. the resulting printed deliverables are clips that represent the full disk files. Batch renaming the clips/files using batch clip rename doesn't result in renamed disk files in the Audio Files folder. Therefore, an additional, time-consuming step is required to end with properly named disk files in the Audio Files folder that can be copied to a delivery folder and delivered.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I think it would be better described as an incomplete implementation that doesn't follow previously established Pro Tools logic with respect to clip and file renaming.

Here is a real-world use case scenario. Session is set to Interleaved. Multiple print tracks are setup to record multiple mixes and stems in a single pass. the resulting printed deliverables are clips that represent the full disk files. Batch renaming the clips/files using batch clip rename doesn't result in renamed disk files in the Audio Files folder. Therefore, an additional, time-consuming step is required to end with properly named disk files in the Audio Files folder that can be copied to a delivery folder and delivered.
Or you can batch clip rename and then export those clips to the delivery files folder and files exported will retain the newly named clips.

Either way works. The argument for a batch rename original file is valid but there are plenty of workarounds to achieve the same thing.