Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-08-2004, 09:08 AM

Default OT - Studio/retail space question

Hey guys,

Just was curious as to a ball park figure of what renting a facility would run me to become home to my studio? I have been shot down on 4 different locations so far for the new studio and am getting frustrated as far as the "owning the space" deal and was thinking of Leasing from somewhere. Do any of you lease out there, and is there anything I should watch out for when looking for space to lease? Please drop me any suggestions when you get a chance. Thanks

Charlie
Old 10-08-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: OT - Studio/retail space question

man... noone rents business space for their studios out there? I'm looking for some options please guys.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:56 AM

Commercial space don't come cheap. Rent, insurance, utilities, etc. One would have to have a pretty good and steady client base to justify something like that, I'd hazard to say.
Figure anywhere from 1000.00 to 2500.00 a month for the space alone. Then...one would have to spend another 20k on remodeling. You can't just run a studio in an old carryout/storefront space.
It'd be cheaper (in the long run) to buy a house, and remodel some of it into a studio space. Make it a living space and studio space. I mean, a 200k house will have a mortgage of around a grand....or you can rent a space for 1500.00.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:17 AM

it also depends on your location. for instance, over here in the SF bay area, things are really expensive...if you were say, living in nebraska or somewhere over there, im sure it would be much less than it is here...
Old 10-08-2004, 11:20 AM

And, contrary to SF county, in SD county, Retail space is cheaper than living costs... Like my future 1000 SQ. Ft. Condo is between 300k and 400k... But, the office rental of a 1300 sq ft. unit, is only 900 a month here...
Old 10-08-2004, 12:58 PM

Hmm... figured retail was probably not the direction to go in. *shrugs* lol Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will knock this out one step at a time. Just would help to make some extra cash from the studio to better the studio in the mean time if you know what I mean. lol
Old 10-08-2004, 01:20 PM

Something you may want to consider.
I have seen two separate studios opened and successfully operated inside common rental storage units. You know the strip warehouse style where you can rent space from closet to garage sizes for personal storage...

Apparently, at least in my area, many of these storage space owners allow business's to be operated on premises. One major plus, most of your "neighbors" are never there so noise issues are minimal.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:30 PM

really? huh... are they actually legit businesses or sort of something that they have happening otherwise without a license? lol
Old 10-08-2004, 02:35 PM

Most rental spaces won't allow you to use a light - let alone power to run a business... and then you have the problem with the smell of the dead body in the storage unit next to you

In LA you can rent studio space in complexes with other studios -- and there are some office buildings which have multiple editing suites rented out... but it's usually a good idea to purchase the property if you're going to do extensive sound treatment to a building.. or make sure you're tied into a very long lease.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-08-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Most rental spaces won't allow you to use a light - let alone power to run a business... and then you have the problem with the smell of the dead body in the storage unit next to you

Rail, remember, you are an Engineer, not a Musician; we like the smell of dead bodies.

Hey, I noticed you did some work on Tori's Boys for Pele... I was watching her in concert the other day, and wondering, How is she in the studio? She seems to have a bit of a natural rhythm, though it doesnt really follow a typical bpm... you know? It varies, but it works good for her, because she is(in this performance) all the band(just her and her piano).