Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-19-2021, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Any benefit to TDM in 2021?

I'm using HD3 Accel PCIe on Windows 7 PC. I'm composing, mixing and producing on this setup. It's a large Pro Tools system with 5 x 192s loaded with extra analog Inputs to accept all my outboard gear and synths/modules - all connected to dedicated I/O, no need for patchbays. I also do film scores and use AVID Mojo SDI + Sync as video pheripheral. All external MIDI gear (and it's lot of it) working happily with Digi MIDI I/O 10x10. For controllers I use AVID Artist Control and MIX and XMON controlled with tablet and control APP. I have nice selection of more-less newer as well as good old AAX32/RTAS/TDM and VST plugins and instruments. For wrapping newest 32bit VST's where there is no AAX32 alternative I use FXpansion and TransVST, no problem here. I also noticed that some VSTi are much more CPU efficient wrapped from VST to RTAS/AAX than original AAX32 versions (CPU usage 5 to 10 times lower). Also using several RME boxes for other ASIO apps and digital I/O interconnections.

So, there is still lot of happiness here with this old discontinued system in 2021.

The biggest disadvantage of Pro Tools HD10 when using it for Film scoring and composing is it's 32bit arhitecture and limitation for newer VSTi and instrument libraries. However, I bridged that with Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 and using server PC with tons of RAM, 2TB NVMe and VSTi with preloaded libraries. Works great. Even when I upgrade to HDX and Ultimate, I think will still use VEPro and server for film scoring.

Few features that I miss the most from current PT versions:

1. Advanced metering (!!!!)
2. 64 bit architecture
3. Freeze
4. Dynamic plugin processing
5. Show clip waveform while moving/editing

For your setup, maybe it's good idea to make dual boot and keep old TDM setup for tracking and new one for mixing with Ultimate and all other modern stuff. Not sure about MAC limitations in that scenario...

Cheers!

Suad
Old 05-19-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suad Cokljat View Post
I'm using HD3 Accel PCIe on Windows 7 PC. I'm composing, mixing and producing on this setup. It's a large Pro Tools system with 5 x 192s loaded with extra analog Inputs to accept all my outboard gear and synths/modules - all connected to dedicated I/O, no need for patchbays. I also do film scores and use AVID Mojo SDI + Sync as video pheripheral. All external MIDI gear (and it's lot of it) working happily with Digi MIDI I/O 10x10. For controllers I use AVID Artist Control and MIX and XMON controlled with tablet and control APP. I have nice selection of more-less newer as well as good old AAX32/RTAS/TDM and VST plugins and instruments. For wrapping newest 32bit VST's where there is no AAX32 alternative I use FXpansion and TransVST, no problem here. I also noticed that some VSTi are much more CPU efficient wrapped from VST to RTAS/AAX than original AAX32 versions (CPU usage 5 to 10 times lower). Also using several RME boxes for other ASIO apps and digital I/O interconnections.

So, there is still lot of happiness here with this old discontinued system in 2021.

The biggest disadvantage of Pro Tools HD10 when using it for Film scoring and composing is it's 32bit arhitecture and limitation for newer VSTi and instrument libraries. However, I bridged that with Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 and using server PC with tons of RAM, 2TB NVMe and VSTi with preloaded libraries. Works great. Even when I upgrade to HDX and Ultimate, I think will still use VEPro and server for film scoring.

Few features that I miss the most from current PT versions:

1. Advanced metering (!!!!)
2. 64 bit architecture
3. Freeze
4. Dynamic plugin processing
5. Show clip waveform while moving/editing

For your setup, maybe it's good idea to make dual boot and keep old TDM setup for tracking and new one for mixing with Ultimate and all other modern stuff. Not sure about MAC limitations in that scenario...

Cheers!

Suad
Great ! The advantage of working with a system that is getting on in years is that one knows it very well, all the small errors and necessary workarounds. So you can work reliably, even if some "modern" functions are sorely missed.

I have a dual boot system, Mavericks with PT10HD3 PCIe for tracking and Mojave with the last version of PT Ultimate for mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 11-30-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
Iīm running a dual boot system on a Mac 4,1 (firmware 5,1) ... one partition (Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks) PT10 TDM HD3 for tracking, the other partition (Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra) for mixing on PT Ultimate ... PERFECT
@tonwurm
I've also been running PTHD10 on Mavericks since its inception, and now facing more and frustration with most new plugins being 64bit only.

May I ask what audio interface you are using ? One that works both under Mavericks and High Sierra ? I've been trying the dual partition scheme on my maxed out MacPro 5.1 to no avail, due to my audio interface.
I have indeed an old Digidesign 192 IO (Blue+Silver) with HD accel PCIe cards and it's not recognised at all by core audio from Yosemite 10.10.

It seems tricky to find a unique audio interface that will work with PT10HD TDM on Mavericks (non TDM is easier) and with later AAX only versions of PT on Mac OS 10.13

Any help from the community in doing a dual boot Mavericks and High Sierra Mac system with PT10 and a more current version would be much appreciated !

Thank you for your time !

System info:
MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 Ghz 6 Core 48gb ram MacOS 10.9.5
PT 10HD + PT11HD
HD Core PCIe + HD Accel x2

www.dimitrifromparis.com

System:

PT 10HD + PT11
Digidesign 192 IO (Blue)

Last edited by DimitriFP; 11-30-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:08 AM

My advise is having a new system for new toys. Park the TDM system to where it works and keep using it as it is.

I have a PT10 system (HD3) running on Mavericks and it has been unchanged more than half a decade already. It works just as good as it worked as new, no problem. Just that TDM never got to 64bit so anything newer than that will only screw things up.

Hardest thing was to convince Waves to re-deposit older Mercury license bundle to iLok. They now want to use their own licensing, so in their eyes iLok does not exist anymore. Even if you WUP now there is zero chance you would get the licenses.

I also have a PT8 system (HD3) running on PPC G5 PowerMac and a PT6 system (MIX3 running on PPC G4 PowerMac but it is very rare I need all three legacy systems on the same live gig. Older ones are to educate some juniors.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitriFP View Post
@tonwurm
I've also been running PTHD10 on Mavericks since its inception, and now facing more and frustration with most new plugins being 64bit only.

May I ask what audio interface you are using ? One that works both under Mavericks and High Sierra ? I've been trying the dual partition scheme on my maxed out MacPro 5.1 to no avail, due to my audio interface.
I have indeed an old Digidesign 192 IO (Blue+Silver) with HD accel PCIe cards and it's not recognised at all by core audio from Yosemite 10.10.

It seems tricky to find a unique audio interface that will work with PT10HD TDM on Mavericks (non TDM is easier) and with later AAX only versions of PT on Mac OS 10.13

Any help from the community in doing a dual boot Mavericks and High Sierra Mac system with PT10 and a more current version would be much appreciated !

Thank you for your time !

System info:
PT 10HD + PT11HD
I still use PT10 HD with 192 I/O and two 96 I/O for tracking, but for tracking only.

Meanwhile Iīm mostly working on Catalina (same machine, seperate SSD, RME USB-Interface, PT Ultimate, Logic X for Midi work).

I updated my Mac Pro to Open Core 0.72, so that itīs compatible with Catalina. Everything works very smooth. I think I will stay for the next 2 years on this system, at least. And then weīll see ... maybe a M1-Mac Pro ;-)

Old 11-30-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I still use PT10 HD with 192 I/O and two 96 I/O for tracking, but for tracking only.

Meanwhile Iīm mostly working on Catalina (same machine, seperate SSD, RME USB-Interface, PT Ultimate, Logic X for Midi work).

I updated my Mac Pro to Open Core 0.72, so that itīs compatible with Catalina. Everything works very smooth. I think I will stay for the next 2 years on this system, at least. And then weīll see ... maybe a M1-Mac Pro ;-)
Thanks for replying, which HD cards do you have connecting to the blue 192 ?

www.dimitrifromparis.com

System:

PT 10HD + PT11
Digidesign 192 IO (Blue)
Old 12-01-2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for replying, which HD cards do you have connecting to the blue 192 ?
1 HD Core PCIe, 2 HD Accel PCIe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Installed PT HD cards.jpg (35.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by tonwurm; 12-01-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:46 AM

Quote:
1 HD Core PCIe, 2 HD Accel PCIe
thanks !
same as me then

Can you connect to your blue 192 when booted in High Sierra with PT Ultimate or do you use your RME in this config ?

www.dimitrifromparis.com

System:

PT 10HD + PT11
Digidesign 192 IO (Blue)
Old 12-01-2021, 04:17 AM

Quote:
thanks !
same as me then

Can you connect to your blue 192 when booted in High Sierra with PT Ultimate or do you use your RME in this config ?
I didnīt try this, since I assumed it wonīt work or not reliable at least. I use the RME Interface in Catalina only. Did also work very reliable in High Sierra and in Mojave.
With dedicated SSDīs for both Catalina and Mavericks, to boot up the other system is only a thing from a minute to switch between tracking and mixing. For fast recordings during the mix process I have connect Microphon Cables to the RME. Externeal Gear, f.e. synths I record via the RME, too.
But the zero-latency tracking under PT10 in Mavericks is for me still the perfect way to do long recording sessions or to record a complete band.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:20 AM

Quote:
I didnīt try this, since I assumed it wonīt work
Correct. TDM cards never made it to 64bit, so you would need to be using PT10 or lower, which means Mountain Lion or older (though Mavericks works with known issues).