Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-11-2021, 05:10 PM

Default Dinosaur post: What’s the jump from TDM in 2021

I’ve been on TDM systems forever now, mostly because I can use all the plugins I like without latency, and my general dislike of separate-software setups like UAD...that being said the time is probably neigh, what are folks jumping to? Carbon looks interesting but it seems like the same issue may arise (namely not being able to use Waves plugins while tracking)

Do I just suck it up and spend thousands of dollars on MCDsp or some of the Plug-in Alliance stuff and say **** it to the several decades worth of use and comfortability and licenses with Waves? Or do I look into the soundgrid or whatever their propriety (and seemingly ****ty) software/hardware workarounds?
Old 03-11-2021, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Dinosaur post: What’s the jump from TDM in 2021

Just jump to Native bandwagon. I only use TDM on live gigs where I cannot afford a single hiccup, but anywhere else Native beats TDM hands down. Though if you need more than 32 i/o you need HDN (for 64) and if you need more than 64 HDX is the only way.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:57 PM

I have a native setup as well but i do quite a bit of "long form" recording (1-2 hours straight no interruptions) so "no hiccups" is definitely 100% required...so far from the look of things its looking like i should stay prehistoric lol
Old 03-11-2021, 08:08 PM

You may have lots of decisions in front of you.

If you are looking to move to a recent Pro Tools likely a significant OS upgrade and maybe a complete computer upgrade may be needed.

Do you want to keep any of your exiting Digilink IO? Then you need at least HD Native (unless you have third party interfaces that also support other connectivity).

If you want more advice it may help to know details of what type of work you are doing/some idea of session size you have now and what you are doing, details of your computer especially, etc. If you are happy where you are now why move? What problem are you trying to solve?
Old 03-11-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
keep any of your exiting Digilink IO
I like this typo
Old 03-11-2021, 08:51 PM

Yeah, I'll leave it there.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:42 PM

i may have missed something but it seems waves has its own dsp racks to handle tracking which might be one of the reason they screwded up hdx.
Everyone wants to do like avid including uad with Luna.
It sounds like if Avid wants to keep hdx safe they should develop for good some real highres preamp in order to have that same uad pluging efficiency.

Exemples of highres pres are legions between Studer, Neve, Great River, Mastering Lab etc ... they just have to pick from best of their world and still do not understand why they still had poor preamps instead so far.

Now that been said why should you make a move if your tdm gear +plugins are working like a charm ?

Keep in mind that probably close to 90% of people do not give a sh** on how the music production has been done including who recorded it and mixed it just as long as it sounds good to their ears, that's all what matters after all.
So you can imagine what they think on which gear all this has been done...
If your mixing sounds like you want it to with your actual gear, why move on ?
And to be clear once for all, that is not the computer daw and its plugins that is doing most of the job but rather the room, the mics + pres and audio converters and of course the guy who's in charge of all this.
Most recent audio converters will work with tdm including news avid's 192

Your gear is just an excellent one and mabe you might just need some more external HW instead ?

... unless you really feel the need to have more recent plugins ...
Mac Pro 2x 2.66GHz 6-Core / 96 Go Ram / PE6R4-i - HD Native - Tempo Sata Pro 6Gb - PTHD : 10 / 11 /12 / Ultimate till 2022.5 - 192 i/o Digidesign - MTPAV - OSX : 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6.8 / 10.8.5 / 10.9.5 / 10.11.6 / 10.13.6 / 10.14.6 - PowerMac G4 MDD / Pro Tools HD 5.3 / 6 / 7.4x / 8

Last edited by groovebrother; 03-12-2021 at 01:55 PM.