Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-28-2014, 04:09 AM

Default Re: HEAT, NEVE 8048 Listening Challenge

I just found this thread. This is a crap test. Summing 16 stems though an 8048 gives you NOTHING. The PT summing has already ruined the drums for example. Running 2 channels of already premixed drums through a Neve bus is not going to color an already flawed sound in any meaningful way. Spread all the tracks individually, one per channel, then do a mix and listen to that. The results are startling. I have done this blind at my place, Bay7 Studios, and my home studio, Drive-By, many times. Neve wins by a mile.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelT View Post
I just found this thread. This is a crap test. Summing 16 stems though an 8048 gives you NOTHING. The PT summing has already ruined the drums for example. Running 2 channels of already premixed drums through a Neve bus is not going to color an already flawed sound in any meaningful way. Spread all the tracks individually, one per channel, then do a mix and listen to that. The results are startling. I have done this blind at my place, Bay7 Studios, and my home studio, Drive-By, many times. Neve wins by a mile.
Love to hear that. That's without EQ/Dynamics right?

Can you send a link to that?

Totally interested...

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Regardless of all of this, all I can say is HEAT makes huge difference on mY mixes. Whether or not it relates to the original comparison or not, I have no freaking idea but I simply will not mix without it.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp