Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-16-2022, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Digi 003 | Lucid External Clock

My memory is a bit fuzzy and it may have been 12.4-12.5 that wouldn't remember the clock setting, but I can't be sure(sorry). I'm all for the upgrade. RME should be high on your list. I have a clean Control 24 for sale if you like lots of faders(it works with current PT via Neyrinck's V-Control software). Sadly, its just too big for my little room

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-16-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You mean retain the setting in the 003 control panel without Pro Tools running? Or are you looking at this in Pro Tools? I don't have a dog in this cat fight, or a 003 to check with, but might help to explain what you are looking at
HA!!! Once I set the clock in the first session after launch, I' good to go for the rest of the working day. When I restart the computer, no more sync. This is in Pro Tools and via the Sync light on the panel of the Digi 003. It seems the 003 should be looking for clock or retain the latest setting, but maybe it's not supposed to?

For now, I may just have to set it with each first session. That's not a huge inconvenience.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You mean retain the setting in the 003 control panel without Pro Tools running? Or are you looking at this in Pro Tools? I don't have a dog in this cat fight, or a 003 to check with, but might help to explain what you are looking at
Thanks for all of your help, man!!

After doing some heavy lifting here on the forums, it looks like the setting in PT that "looks" for the external clock has been "broken" since PT 8.0.4.

It's probably never coming back. We know how Avid is. HA!!

Last edited by bwilliamsmusic; 01-19-2022 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:17 PM

Ben... took your suggestion. I purchased a C8 for $170 and it's amazing how tightly these old machines integrate with Pro Tools still. The only functionalities I'm missing from my 003 are the Save button and dedicated automation controls. Neither is a big deal.

I also purchased the Arturia Audiofuse 8pre as my new interface. Great converters and mic pres and it has the perfect functionality for my setup. I looked into RME, Focusrite, Motu, etc, but none of those fit the bill.

To everyone that lent a few words of assistance and suggestions here, thank you all so much.

I'm excited about moving forward!!
Old 01-26-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliamsmusic View Post
Ben... took your suggestion. I purchased a C8 for $170 and it's amazing how tightly these old machines integrate with Pro Tools still. The only functionalities I'm missing from my 003 are the Save button and dedicated automation controls. Neither is a big deal.

I also purchased the Arturia Audiofuse 8pre as my new interface. Great converters and mic pres and it has the perfect functionality for my setup. I looked into RME, Focusrite, Motu, etc, but none of those fit the bill.

To everyone that lent a few words of assistance and suggestions here, thank you all so much.

I'm excited about moving forward!!
Wow. That's great to hear.
Hope it works out for you.

I don't expect the C8 to work forever, though. I think I read about some functionality be ing lost with new MacOS versions and M1 prcessor being lost already. Still, the longevity is pretty impressive already.

C8 tip, in case you don't know; Master Fader button: one click - C8 focuses your master fader(s). Second click - it shows your VCA faders. Third click - C8 is back on your tracks.

I use it all the time. I have a vca group for each major sections of tracks, so I can use the 'Master fader' button to quickly solo/mute/level any of them, and one more MFbutton click, I can work on the tracks and solo/mute etc, because I keep the groups not enabled. Great for workflow speed.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:41 PM

Ben... so, I just hooked up my Arturia Audiofuse 8pre and the quality difference (just in listening) is light years better than the Digi003 or the Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 that I was using before the 03.

I heard that this unit was good... and it is. Looking forward to recording with it. The output is crazy, too. Sheesh!! The converters... excellent. I know there are better out there, but this works for me and what I need to do. My monitors sound so much better. HA!!

Appreciate the gentle nudge to move on from the 03 and grab a C8. Well worth it.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:53 PM

That's good to hear. Everyone should be aware of this, that modern consumer grade interfaces are miles above, in audio quality, what you got even just a decade ago.

Just a sidenote: the Command|8 is still a great controller and very much capable w/PT; except one thing; if you try to use EUControl software, it disables the meters on C8. Everythiing else works fine. Just so you know.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
That's good to hear. Everyone should be aware of this, that modern consumer grade interfaces are miles above, in audio quality, what you got even just a decade ago.

Just a sidenote: the Command|8 is still a great controller and very much capable w/PT; except one thing; if you try to use EUControl software, it disables the meters on C8. Everythiing else works fine. Just so you know.
No EUControl for me. I don't need to break anything. Lol!!

So... I know that dedicated clocks can sometimes be better. I have the Lucid, but I'm thinking the clock in the 8pre may be more than capable. What are your thoughts there?
Old 02-03-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliamsmusic View Post
So... I know that dedicated clocks can sometimes be better. I have the Lucid, but I'm thinking the clock in the 8pre may be more than capable. What are your thoughts there?
My thoughts, never having used an external clock device, is everything I've read about this topic is essentially; it only makes a difference with expensive topoftheline converters. So I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
My thoughts, never having used an external clock device, is everything I've read about this topic is essentially; it only makes a difference with expensive topoftheline converters. So I wouldn't worry about it.
To Reverb it goes!!