Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 09-19-2021, 09:11 AM

Default 192 to HD I/O upgrade

Have just upgraded from a 192 to an HD I/O analog and could use a bit of help regarding the analog output.

With the 192 analog output I used an Avid DB25-TS +4Db/-10Db Padded Digisnake (MH094) to drop the output to -10Db and unbalance it. I'd like to continue to use this cable with the HD I/O rather than start opening the unit and changing the Hi/Lo jumper settings. Does anyone know any good reason to not do this as the DB25 pinouts are exactly the same on both units?

Many thanks.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:47 AM

Default Re: 192 to HD I/O upgrade

Pinouts are the same. This begs the question of why you need to lower the level and unbalance the outputs??

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-19-2021, 01:31 PM

To have the option of feeding the output into gear with a -10Db unbalanced input!

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you'd ask the question as I thought that might be somewhat obvious.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:36 PM

If you want to be 100% sure, create a support case and ask Avid Support to confirm, but if memory serves me right you can use normal cable with Avid HD interface even if you connect to -10

It was the DigiDesign 192 that needed special cable to not fry the card, but that should have been fixed in the new version.

Again, double check with Avid Support.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:45 PM

I'd dearly love to get an answer direct from Avid and that's the route I tried first.

I opened a case last Thursday and it's still showing as in the queue - and I pay Avid for a so-called 'support' contract!!!

The issue is both the unbalancing and the padding. The HD I/O has the option to change the internal jumpers for a -6Db pad but this involves removing the unit from the rack and opening the case whenever I need to change it rather than just swapping a cable.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:09 PM

For both interfaces, the crucial thing is to NOT ground the cold side of the balanced line. I asked for 2 reasons: 1-because not everybody knows this stuff, and 2-because there still might be a better option(which I can't offer as I don't know what other gear you are connecting). I made a custom cable as I needed to feed unbalanced stereo inputs of a headphone amp(I needed 4 TRS lines with 2 outputs on tip and ring but unbalanced). Its also possible to connect balanced to unbalanced by floating the shield, connecting + to the tip and - to the case of an unbalanced connector(either RCA or quarter inch).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-19-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJP View Post
I opened a case
if it takes too long, post your case number and we can escalate your concern
Old 09-19-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
For both interfaces, the crucial thing is to NOT ground the cold side of the balanced line. I asked for 2 reasons: 1-because not everybody knows this stuff, and 2-because there still might be a better option(which I can't offer as I don't know what other gear you are connecting). I made a custom cable as I needed to feed unbalanced stereo inputs of a headphone amp(I needed 4 TRS lines with 2 outputs on tip and ring but unbalanced). Its also possible to connect balanced to unbalanced by floating the shield, connecting + to the tip and - to the case of an unbalanced connector(either RCA or quarter inch).
Exactly.

If you do cables yourself, driving -10 should be using ground and hot pins only, not connecting hot and cold together. This is the most importan point, and which is why the original DigiDesign -10 cable ever existed.

If you do cables yourself, just use ground pin and hot pin, that will not harm anything. Same goes for AES/EBU to SPDIF connection by the way.

Short-circuit may fry the card, so with this kind of thinking you can avoid that.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:13 PM

It is possible to use the MH094 cable with the HD I/O. Just had a very helpful reply from Maria in Avid support. I've posted below it to help anyone else with the same question:

"Your Digisnake MH094 should work connected to the default Analog Output + 4dBu (default Hi -option jumper) of the HD I/O to provide you the -10 dBV output.

If you would need a different output value, as you were reading on the manual you'd switch the jumper to Lo- output setting from -6 dB and if adjusting Trim pot for additional -4dB. (page 42) at the end you would have output to -24 dBu"