Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-26-2019, 04:17 AM

Default Dolby Atmos Production Suite

what has been everyone's experience with this? I don't have an Atmos room but I do have the HD800s and I was thinking about picking up the plugin to get used to mixing and working on that environment, even though it wouldn't be the best but still would like to get that experience.

My main focus in writing and producing for sync music but I will like to eventually work alongside more on video and films

thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos Production Suite

Atmos Production Suite is a great way to get comfortable with Atmos workflows. Big thumbs up. And if you don't have the speakers, listen to the binaural output on your HD800s. It will surprise you. But it's not a plug-in really, it's an entire signal path workflow to the rendering app. Give yourself at least an entire day to figure out the system.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:57 AM

Here is a great resource for learning the basics. This course focuses on live sound for broadcast but it’s a good intro to understanding the Dolby Atmos architecture.

http://cras-atmos.com/
Old 02-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Here is a great resource for learning the basics. This course focuses on live sound for broadcast but it’s a good intro to understanding the Dolby Atmos architecture.

http://cras-atmos.com/
thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Atmos Production Suite is a great way to get comfortable with Atmos workflows. Big thumbs up. And if you don't have the speakers, listen to the binaural output on your HD800s. It will surprise you. But it's not a plug-in really, it's an entire signal path workflow to the rendering app. Give yourself at least an entire day to figure out the system.
I found a great guide on pro tools expert where it showed the whole system so I realized there it was a lot more than a plugin.

Do you receive often post work in Atmos ?
Old 03-04-2019, 05:46 AM

we work a lot with the Atmos Production Suite.
It's working as advertised, so all good there.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
we work a lot with the Atmos Production Suite.
It's working as advertised, so all good there.
Thank you for your help. So do you think I would be able to do a well enough job working with my HD800s? A dedicated space is not feasible for me since I am saving money to buy a house and I am working from an apartment.

Lastly, does the Avid store have sales occasionally? Most developers seems to have sales every other week and I was wondering since there are a few plugins there that are interesting to me. I am just not as familiar with the Avid store yet.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhuffer View Post
Thank you for your help. So do you think I would be able to do a well enough job working with my HD800s? A dedicated space is not feasible for me since I am saving money to buy a house and I am working from an apartment.

Lastly, does the Avid store have sales occasionally? Most developers seems to have sales every other week and I was wondering since there are a few plugins there that are interesting to me. I am just not as familiar with the Avid store yet.
To your first question, it depends on what your goals are. You can't deliver a finished Atmos mix to Netflix if all you did was monitor on headphones :) But, you can get a great experience getting familiar with the toolkit and workflow while monitoring the binaural output. I'm a big fan of that binaural feed.

Avid has sales occasionally for the regular Pro Tools users, but usually not the Ultimate users. Check with your dealer to get discounts.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
To your first question, it depends on what your goals are. You can't deliver a finished Atmos mix to Netflix if all you did was monitor on headphones :) But, you can get a great experience getting familiar with the toolkit and workflow while monitoring the binaural output. I'm a big fan of that binaural feed.

Avid has sales occasionally for the regular Pro Tools users, but usually not the Ultimate users. Check with your dealer to get discounts.

Good luck!
yeah I was thinking more about getting used to the workflow of the system while using headphones. I was curious whether it was getting more widely used in the industry so wanted to know if it would be worth getting into.

I am going to buy some software but I just wanted to check whether they had serial sales like every other manufacturer does before I dropped some money in their store.

Is it possible to make a good 7.1 set up with different size speakers? my mains are a7x but I also have a pair of a3x and I was wondering if I could get another a3x and some ceiling speakers to complete a 7.1 room

cheers
Old 03-05-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhuffer View Post
yeah I was thinking more about getting used to the workflow of the system while using headphones. I was curious whether it was getting more widely used in the industry so wanted to know if it would be worth getting into.

I am going to buy some software but I just wanted to check whether they had serial sales like every other manufacturer does before I dropped some money in their store.

Is it possible to make a good 7.1 set up with different size speakers? my mains are a7x but I also have a pair of a3x and I was wondering if I could get another a3x and some ceiling speakers to complete a 7.1 room

cheers
Atmos is being adopted by the industry, but mostly at the high-end. From a business standpoint, you should be investing in technology that meets your clients' needs. That may or may not be 7.1 or Atmos. But from an exploratory, creative standpoint, go ahead and experiment! For better or worse, lots of rooms are built with different sized speakers. As you go down this path, you'll learn about monitor controllers and room calibration. Listen to and analyze commercially-released mixes in 5.1. Fun stuff.