Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 AM

Default Major Feature Requests for the Third Generation Control|24

The new C|24 ain't got much at all on the Control 24. The two biggest flaws on the Control24 weren't even addressed on the C24, which gets under my mixer skin and old industrial designer skin. I'd be so mad to shell out $7k for an uglier console with the same two fatal flaws, the C24.

So please, in your next Control|24, the Control|24 Redux, please fix these two design mis-steps finally:

1) Scribble strips are TERRIBLE with so few characters. (Left unfixed in the C24!!! Hello?!?)

2) Another serious ergonomic misdesign....the meters should be closer to the faders to quickly mentally correlate the fader to the track you want to fade.

Example: You're mixing quickly like always. You want to lower the bass track. You hear it pumping and you look for the correlating meter as the quickest method of locating the bass track fader. The problem...the meter is miles from the fader, so you have to slow down, move your eye down the console to find the right fader. Doesn't sound like much, but when you need to move the right fader 500 times an hour, it sucks to be slowed down so much. Ergonomically, the meter should be right along side, parallel to the fader.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Major Feature Requests for the Third Generation Control|24

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
The new C|24 ain't got much at all on the Control 24. The two biggest flaws on the Control24 weren't even addressed on the C24, which gets under my mixer skin and old industrial designer skin. I'd be so mad to shell out $7k for an uglier console with the same two fatal flaws, the C24.

So please, in your next Control|24, the Control|24 Redux, please fix these two design mis-steps finally:

1) Scribble strips are TERRIBLE with so few characters. (Left unfixed in the C24!!! Hello?!?)

2) Another serious ergonomic misdesign....the meters should be closer to the faders to quickly mentally correlate the fader to the track you want to fade.

Example: You're mixing quickly like always. You want to lower the bass track. You hear it pumping and you look for the correlating meter as the quickest method of locating the bass track fader. The problem...the meter is miles from the fader, so you have to slow down, move your eye down the console to find the right fader. Doesn't sound like much, but when you need to move the right fader 500 times an hour, it sucks to be slowed down so much. Ergonomically, the meter should be right along side, parallel to the fader.

Thanks.

Wow,

I would think the poorly engineered Power Supply that would render the Control 24 useless in around 2 years time would be a much more important issue than anything else!! How many of those post we see on the DUC? Digi (thank you!!) fixed that issue with the new C/24. PS is not in the control surface so its much easier to replace.

What about the phantom power on the back of the Control 24? I am happy they moved that to the front!!! on the C/24.

Digi improved the monitor section too in the C/24. It sounds pretty damn good and anyone can quote me on that!!

My issues with the C/24 are the pre amps. Turned all the way down the pre still gives you a +16db level. No pad. Recording hot sources with dynamics is a PITA. I have to buy external pads. A -20db pad on all the pres would have been a no brainer!!! I guess nobody at Digi records real drums. Because if they did, they would have noticed how important pads are.

I would also like to have more editing regions functions. Mute region, separate region, even heal region.

The C/24 is the best control surface for its price you can get to work with PT IMHO. I love mine!!!

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
Digi improved the monitor section too in the C/24. It sounds pretty damn good and anyone can quote me on that!!

My issues with the C/24 are the pre amps. Turned all the way down the pre still gives you a +16db level. No pad. Recording hot sources with dynamics is a PITA. I have to buy external pads. A -20db pad on all the pres would have been a no brainer!!! I guess nobody at Digi records real drums. Because if they did, they would have noticed how important pads are.
The pre-amps?!? The pre-amps?!? I thought that was settled long ago as "USELESS. Please remove them in the next Control|24 to save money. No serious pro level would ever consider using those. I'll choose my own pre amps... thank you Digi, but no thanks.

Yes, the Control|24 and the C|24 are amazing for doing most of what the Icons do at a fraction of the price...they're Greeeeat!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 PM

LOL!

Yeah thats what the API lunchbox is for. If digi is going to include the pres, I want pads. I couldn't imagine that not putting the pres in the C/24 would save that much. I mean what are they worth? $5 each?

I only use the C/24 pres for toms and scratch tracks anyways, which they work ok for. Better than the control 24 tho!!!

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM

What about more Cue Out ? The pb is the talkback routing in fact ...
Tracks display under rotarys !!
Switch are a little ... cheap ?