Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2004, 04:10 PM

Default splitting stereo tracks to mono -- audio quality?

if i split a stereo track into two mono tracks (panned hard left and right), should i hear a difference in quality? i tried this as an experiment for fun and i THINK i am hearing something different, but i'm not sure if i'm psyching myself into that or if there really is a difference.

on a related question -- let's say i had a stereo piano track that was recorded without compression and my only outboard compressor is a mono unit. would purists cringe if if i split the stereo track into two mono tracks and then processed each of them (individually) through the outboard mono compressor (recording them back in through two different mono tracks)?

thanks,
steve

Old 01-06-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: splitting stereo tracks to mono -- audio quali

It's then same two audio files, on two mono tracks instead of one stereo track. Make sure your pans are hard l/r.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:12 PM

Default Re: splitting stereo tracks to mono -- audio quality?

I have always wondered if you split the kick drums or bass, from stereo to mono, then only keep one of the mono tracks (deleting the stereo as well as the right mono track), keep only the left and center it. Do you loose any quality or richness or quality of the kick/bass?
Old 04-08-2023, 12:28 PM

Rules of audio

If you have one source (one microphone) feeding into a stereo track then your recorded signal is not stereo. It is just two files if mono audio

If you record with a stereo microphone onto a stereo track, each independent channel with have its own information depending on the pickup pattern of that mic. If you delete one channel after recording you will lose any different material recorded on that channel.

ie, if you have a stereo pair of microphones recording a piano (one side high, one side low) into a stereo track then delete one channel you will be missing a whole register of the piano.

If you have processed your mono bass to make it stereo (chorusing/delay) and then remove one channel, you will me missing any added treatment to the original mono signal.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcconnellsteve View Post
if i split a stereo track into two mono tracks (panned hard left and right), should i hear a difference in quality? i tried this as an experiment for fun and i THINK i am hearing something different, but i'm not sure if i'm psyching myself into that or if there really is a difference.

on a related question -- let's say i had a stereo piano track that was recorded without compression and my only outboard compressor is a mono unit. would purists cringe if if i split the stereo track into two mono tracks and then processed each of them (individually) through the outboard mono compressor (recording them back in through two different mono tracks)?

thanks,
steve
"Something different" =I do not know, but you could reverse the polarity on one of the mono tracks and see if they null ...

Who cares what "purists cringe " at----- that is their problem ... Try it and see if you like the result ....

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-08-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcconnellsteve View Post

thanks,
steve
First question; there should be no change in quality, but there MIGHT be a slight change in volume, depending on what Pan Law setting you use(which might be the "difference" you think you hear).

Second question-while I agree that you shouldn't care what others think, lets' dig a little deeper; What mono compressor are you talking about? If its some highly regarded classy piece of gear, the by all means try it and see(hear). If its some "budget" piece(like any of the 1176 clones for under $500), then I would skip the hassle and use a good plugin, which is likely to sound as good or better, while saving you the grief of dealing with the latency(just because you CAN do something, that doesn't mean you SHOULD do something)

re kick drum and bass, as those are mono signals, they belong on mono tracks(my opinion). Splitting out will change level, but should not change the sound in any other way(assuming no stereo processing)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-08-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossmatic View Post
I have always wondered if you split the kick drums or bass, from stereo to mono, then only keep one of the mono tracks (deleting the stereo as well as the right mono track), keep only the left and center it. Do you loose any quality or richness or quality of the kick/bass?
Hi, welcome to the community.

I have always wondered why people send me stereo tracks of mono sources like kick and bass. Must be a Logic thing.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

I have always wondered why people send me stereo tracks of mono sources like kick and bass. Must be a Logic thing.
And Garage Band.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-09-2023, 02:28 PM

It kinda drives me nuts a little when the term “stereo” is used to define all 2 channel audio files or tracks.

Specifically, Stereo is a two channel audio format that delivers different audio information on the left and right sides. Stereo audio mimics how you hear sound in the real world with your two ears.

Not particular from anyone in this thread, just in general. It’s a term that is often wrongly used incorrectly when describing two audio channels.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:16 PM

I think it's been obvious for years, and not going away, the phenomenon that young people are getting into audio production without understanding the basics of mono/stereo that its2loud mentions. And I think it comes from not experiencing much of the analog cabling, routing and setting up that older people have.