Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Route me!!

Okay, I want to be able to hook up some normal stereo speakers along with my reference monitors so that I can switch between the two for monitoring.

I know there's some S/PDIF outs on the back of the 001. How can I route those to my amp for these speakers and get some sound?
Old 07-21-2002, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Route me!!

The spdifs have to go into a digital input, does your amp have that? Probably not.
Why dont you take the sound out from one of the analogue outpus? Are they in use?
Old 07-23-2002, 01:35 AM

are the analog outputs automatically a mix of all the sound? and can i take one of those alone for a stereo signal?

I figured i could just take one for left (red) and one for right (white), but are they mixed properly for that?

i have the monitors in the mon. outs. can i use the main outs for it?

oh by the way. i checked out your site. whoa. that's really good stuff. was everything produced in protools? and what kind of vocal mics did you use? excellent work!!
Old 07-23-2002, 04:30 AM

Thanx for the compliments!
All my stuff is exclusively PT LE. My main mics are: Studio Projects C1 (2), Oktava MC012 (2) + Sennheisser/Shure dynamic mic. Vocals: often an old tube mic called Protube (Neumann copy).

There are two places where you can plug in your main monitors:
1. Monitor outputs. these are -10db, and are suited for consumer amps. These go thru the "monitor" volume control on the front.
2. Main outputs. These are +4db, and should be used with +4 inputs of a monitor, pro mixer or amp. They do not have a level control, and you would have to control the volume w/master fader on screen. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
You should probably use no. 1.

Then, to connect your stereo, you just use outputs 3-4 (or whatever pair is available).
Then you create a send on each track to outs 3-4, and maybe a master for 3-4.

The easiest way would be to use main outs in addition to monitor outs, as you would not have to use sends, try it, but the signal is 14 dbs more than the stuff you ordinarily connect to consumer stereo. My guess is it would distort.

Quote:
are the analog outputs automatically a mix of all the sound? and can i take one of those alone for a stereo signal?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The outputs 3-8 have no sound until you set a track or a send to those outputs (selectable on the track), and you cant hear a source connected to the INputs 3-8, until you set a track to recieve from that input.

These ins and outs are often used for connecting reverbs and effects, to minimize plugin use in PT.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Jenssen:

1. Monitor outputs. these are -10db, and are suited for consumer amps. These go thru the "monitor" volume control on the front.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is incorrect. the monitor outs of the 001 are balanced +4dbu. Only outs 3-8 are unbalanced and -10.

To connect to your home stereo, connect any pair of outputs 3-8 to your receiver/amp via TS to rca cables. Create a master fader and assign it to the outs you have chosen to go to your stereo.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:42 AM

Where is absolutely right.
But the monitor outputs have the volume control on the front, though, wich lets it accomodate any level, so to speak.

Where:
Quote:
To connect to your home stereo, connect any pair of outputs 3-8 to your receiver/amp via TS to rca cables. Create a master fader and assign it to the outs you have chosen to go to your stereo.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You will have to create a send on each track going to the 3-4, or whatever outputs you have chosen.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:44 PM

Well you know what guys? That's not any good. Digidesign should've thought about that. That's a bummer.

Well, I really don't feel like having to create a send on each out. Sould it be possible to connect the monitor outs to the home stereo amp, and the main reference monitors to the main outs. I don't mind using two knobs for them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Would that work?

Thanks guys
Old 07-24-2002, 05:59 AM

You might want to try a speaker selector box.

Radio Shack, Futureshop, you could probably even find cheap ones at Walmart. Of course there are higher end ones at stereo shops.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:02 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

...uh...yes! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2002, 12:15 AM

Monitor outs >> Pro Amp >> Alesis Reference monitors

Main outs >> Consumer Amp >> Stereo speakers.

And this would work eh? Sweet.