Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Default Inconsistent tempo when setting up a click track in PT?

Ok, I was just working on setting up a new song, and I'm having an issue where my click track in Pro Tools is not steady. I was setting up a tempo map for a tune, and I had a PT click track going, as well as a beat in Reason 4 via Rewire. The tempo is not steady. I have the tempo slaved to PT for the whole thing - but the clicks are not smooth, the timing is not constant. It speeds up & slows down on it's own. I don't mean a tempo change due to me changing it with a marker, I mean that within each section at a certain tempo, it fluctuates. It's as if on random clicks/beats it hangs for a microsecond. Does anyone have any ideas here?

I have an MBP Intel 2.2ghz with 4gb RAM.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Inconsistent tempo when setting up a click track in PT?

I ALWAYS record a physical click track as the first thing I do in a session. Pick the tempo, create a click track aux, place the click on the aux, bus to a mono audio track and record about 16 measures of click. Trim it perfect and copy and paste as many as you need. Once it is recorded in as audio it will NEVER fluctuate. Don't rely on the DAW and assume it will keep the click perfect. You have many things that need to access system resources and any number of them can make your click track stutter unless it is recorded in as audio.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:23 AM

I hear ya there - makes sense. But what I can't get is that the song I was just working on I only had 3 tracks:

PT Click
Reason groove, only using Redrum
An instrument track with no notes in it
No plugins, nothing....

I would think that my machine could hang with that, right? Also when I exported the song as MP3, I thought that might fix the issue, but it didn't.

*sigh*
Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 AM

Then try to start with just a click track. If it is OK, then add elements one at a time. Then at least you know where the culprit is..

If a solitary click track is still not working correctly on your system, then something more basic must be wrong.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Out of curiosity, are you using any Mouse Works software?

Kris
May the music move you