Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-01-2022, 04:09 PM

Default DIGI 003 Console Power supply

my 003 suddenly stopped powering up. It powers on and randomly turns on and off repeatedly.
Electronic repair guy says it is the power supply chip 21Z0501 that is faulty due to overheating.
Have searched the internet and cannot find this chip ( although I have the faulty chip in my hand while searching)
Does anyone know of a replacement chip that would work in my 003 console?
(Image attached)

Mac user, pt10-12, 003 is 15 yrs old, located Texas..

All help , comments are greatly appreciated..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 003 chp rsz2.pdf (473.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2022, 05:48 PM

Default Re: DIGI 003 Console Power supply

That's not a "chip" it looks like a SIL (single in line) resistor divider network or similar, but you only show one side at low resolution. And why put an image in a clunky PDF?. Please post detailed high resolution photos somewhere on a photo sharing site and give the link here. Show both side of the board, ideally not photographed with a potato.

If it's just the SMD resistors, capacitor, and diode (likely a Zener diode?) on this side of the board then it's surprising that its damaged by overheating, if it was something else is likely wrong. And it it's just the SMD resistors and caps then it it should be repairable, or worse case a technician has to hot rig that board or fabricates a replacement board. But repair time costs are quickly going to make this uneconomic vs buying another used 003 or replacing it with a new interface.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:20 PM

Thank you for your reply. My apologies for the photo - my potato is old>-.
The limitation size of acceptable photos or pdf's is so small it was difficult to see as I am sure you are aware.

Thank you for the advise of using a photo sharing site - i've not used one so if you know of one I would be obliged again to you.

I will get a complete photo representation of the SIL resistor ASAP.

The Best to All,
MC
Old 07-01-2022, 07:33 PM

Here is the link to the photos of the SIL resistor - both sides

Thank you - MC

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1959710.../shares/97bS0t
Old 07-01-2022, 09:17 PM

OK so it looks like a SIL (single in line) voltage regulation daughterboard, bunch of resistors, caps a few diodes and what is likely an 8 pin voltage regulator/DC to DC converter.

And what looks like one obvious issue with what looks like a big-ole crack through capacitor C4.

So you can't just buy this anywhere-- it's a daughterboard from ancient times. I think a part of the power supply module, so possibly not even designed by Digidesign or whoever designed the actual 003. Even for places who might have ancient parts or breaking down used 003 I doubt anybody will have one or sell it. But if you managed to find a user power supply this ought to be included. But confirm it came off the power supply board. If you had to buy a used power supply I expect it would be easier to just buy another used 003 that works and then you can work out if you use that or swap power supplies.

But why did the repair technician not try to repair this daughterboard for you? And calling it a "chip"??? Did he mean the voltage regulator IC chip on that board? Are the marking on the 8 pin IC legible? And why return the daughterboard to you and then you are trying to track it down. Why did they not suggest fixing it for you? Something smells bad here. Like they got a fee from you to open it up poke around pull something out and then toss a thing at you and it's your problem? How much did you pay them for that? I'd likely expect a good technician to give you a price estimate to repair that board, and likely expect them to point out it's not economically justifiable. The big question is is the rest of the whole power supply looking OK or not? Could he power up that PSU on the bench?

Why did they not try replacing the cracked C4 SMD capacitor?

It might not take long to reverse engineer the circuit, and guess the IC even if the markings are not legible. But to pay somebody to do that. Meh. These 003 are not worth much, you might be able to replace it from eBay or similar or give up on it and buy a modern interface.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-01-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:00 AM

Darryl - Thank you again for your knowledgeable explanation. The repair guy stated he spent a week trying to track down the exact part you mentioned and could not find anything. Stated he spent $75 of his $ trying to engineer it ( he did not charge me)

Found a used 003 for $329 so that's the route I am probably going - Thank you again for helping to explain !

MC