Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-03-2022, 04:46 AM

Default Pro Tools 8 LE with Mbox 2 on Monterey

Hello!
I brought this soundcard by Digidesign called mbox 2, alongside with Pro Tools 8 LE - full version, i brought this in second hand style from one man here in Prague, because i couldn't get a hold on external DVD mechanic until now, i just didn't tried to install it, until now, but the installation skips and installer says that is not compatibile with current OS ( i got latest version of Monterey updated, on Macbook Pro with Apple M1 chip) , so is there anyway how to run this software and the soundcard on this OS? Any Driver? Any Hint?

Thanks Dalibor
Old 05-03-2022, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 LE with Mbox 2 on Monterey

Its very doubtful. Both the Mbox 2 and the software are too old for your computer and OS. Plus, many of the 8LE installer disks were bad. My best advise is to buy a subscription to the new Pro Tools Artist software and get a new Focusrite or Presonus interface with 1 or 2 mic inputs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-03-2022, 07:04 AM

A quick google shows that the Mbox2 was introduced in 2005 (17 years ago!) and discontinued in 2010 (12 years ago). Additionally, Protools LE's end of life was the end of 2014. OSX (now macOS) has underwent multiple releases and updates in that period including eliminating support to 32-bit applications. In short, "No," it will not work and there is nothing that can be done to make it work. Sorry, but it seems like money wasted. As suggest above, you best option is to purchase a current version of Protools (subscription?) and an interface that fits your budget.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 05-03-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:18 PM

You might get the Mbox to work with the driver from Ploytec. I used it long time ago to extend the life of a Mbox1. They have a demo. Would be a small job to check if it works. But old PT software will never work on your new mac. You know there's a 30-day demo of PT - fully working.
I actually remember Ploytec to be a Czech company, but now it says Germany on their site.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekumseh Cru View Post
Hello!
I brought this soundcard by Digidesign called mbox 2, alongside with Pro Tools 8 LE - full version, i brought this in second hand style from one man here in Prague, because i couldn't get a hold on external DVD mechanic until now, i just didn't tried to install it, until now, but the installation skips and installer says that is not compatibile with current OS ( i got latest version of Monterey updated, on Macbook Pro with Apple M1 chip) , so is there anyway how to run this software and the soundcard on this OS? Any Driver? Any Hint?

Thanks Dalibor
I have the same combo from years ago although I have mainly moved onto to a Steinberg interface and Cubase. I lost my ability to run the PT LE 8 and Mbox2 combo on a Mac way back in 2014. I can report it still runs on Windows 10 though and has no issues at all on Win 7 which I used it on for a long time.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:01 PM

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add, if you have an old Pro Tools system like this, you have two choices: Get a new version of Pro Tools, or get an old Mac or PC to run it on. You can easily find an old MacBook or iMac that will be able to run the old operating systems needed. And it can be very reliable. Otherwise, go for a newer system and Pro Tools Intro or Artist.

I don't know if the Mbox will work without drivers. I still have an old M-Audio USB interface that works fine without drivers but as for the old Pro Tools LE that would be free with that, no way it will work on anything past OS X Mavericks.