Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 08-06-2015, 12:29 PM

Default OBS & Pro Tools is Great on Mac, Broken on PC

Below is my original thread from the OBS forum. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Original post on OBS site:

I was streaming on Mac with Pro Tools just fine. Was feeding the headphone out of my interface to the line in on the computer and telling OBS to use line in as audio.

I need to port over Pro Tools to my PC now for various reasons. Got everything set up. I can hear audio in pro tools, everything works. But the moment I click "preview stream" in OBS, not only does my Pro Tools audio cut, but my ability to make pro tools sounds at all (like make the meters move in pro tools) stops. When I click "Stop Preview" Pro Tools starts working again just fine.

So this isn't simply an audio signal routing issue. This is an "OBS does something to Pro Tool's inner workings" issue.

Again, on the Mac, going out of the headphone jack into the line in works well and neither the Avid audio or Mac audio compete or interfere. But on PC, OBS cuts Pro Tools.

First Reply:

If you use ASIO driver on PC for ProTools, then you need a second soundcard for OBS. On OSX you got the nice stuff called Core Audio, that can handle multiple software working with the same device in low latency mode. On Windows you are limited to ASIO drivers for low latency or maybe if you are happy, you can grab WASAPI (shared) drivers, which OBS is refusing to support for ages now.
So if you need to run ProTools or any other DAW under Windows with OBS recording audio - grab a second soundcard (onboard would do, but expect the usual crap quality) and route your master-output to the line in on the second soundcard. Make sure NOTHING on Windows will try to take over the audio interface you are using for ProTools.
I have no expirience with ProTools, i`m the Ableton Live and FL guy, but they work all on the same basic system when it comes to low latency audio under Windows.

My Response:

I appreciate the reply. I feel up against a wall with this right now.
So I'm using an HD Omni Interface with an HDX card for Pro Tools.
So Pro Tools is not using ASIO, as far as I can tell.

It's as though OBS is hijacking the HDX driver when it starts up and I'm not sure of a way to tell it not to do that.
I downloaded ASIO4ALL last night but couldn't seem to get it to work. Maybe I just didn't troubleshoot enough.

But with that said, I basically do have a separate audio card with the HDX setup right?
So it's probably something else?

Like I said, I have no idea.

Thanks again though...
Old 09-25-2023, 03:51 PM

Default Re: OBS & Pro Tools is Great on Mac, Broken on PC

May I ask you how to use HDx card on OBS?
I have Hd Native card and omni
I don't wanna usr protools but all my out/in audio is connected to those hardware
But OBS couldn't recognise them
I have AJA io and its compatible with obs