Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 PM

Default Converting Stereo to Mono

Hi folks. This is my first post here. I think I must be overlooking the obvious but still haven't been able to find an answer.

I received 8 Stereo AIFF tracks of drums from a partner (kick, snare, low tom, high tom, etc.). I imported them into PT8 and realized that they're actually centered (one mic per track, recorded in Mono but bounced to Stereo AIFF).
What is the best approach to take to convert these 8 Stereo tracks to Mono tracks (since that's what they're really supposed to be)? Is there a way to convert them within PT all at once, or do I have to bounce them in real-time, one by one, and then bring the Mono tracks back into PT? I hope that made sense.

Thanks a lot for your help. I certainly appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Converting Stereo to Mono

Highlight the track names and go up top to the TRACK drop-down menu and select "split to mono" (or something like that) and all your stereo tracks will be split out to 2x mono tracks. You will then want to delete(or at least disable and hide) the extra tracks. Another method is, delete all the tracks(in the edit window), create the correct number of new mono audio tracks, go to the REGIONS bin and click on the little arrows by each stereo region, which will "explode" them to show L&R regions separately. You can then drag the Left (or right) of each onto your new empty tracks.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Wow, right under my nose. Quite embarrassing. Thanks, Albee.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 AM

In the case I want to convert stereo tracks to mono summed I got to real time bounce track by track ?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunego View Post
In the case I want to convert stereo tracks to mono summed I got to real time bounce track by track ?
Yes

Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 PM

That´s a shame. Is ridiculous how Pro-Tools doesn't do simple stuff that all the competitors does, and how slowly they implement new features on the software. BTW dual mono files are so god deam old... stereo files already are dual mono files. The only reason I can think for that is that they use 90% the same code as PT 4.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunego View Post
That´s a shame. Is ridiculous how Pro-Tools doesn't do simple stuff that all the competitors does, and how slowly they implement new features on the software. BTW dual mono files are so god deam old... stereo files already are dual mono files. The only reason I can think for that is that they use 90% the same code as PT 4.
While this may be true, maybe a more important question is; why do you have the need to mono-sum any stereo track? Setting both pan knobs to 12 o'clock will net the exact same sound.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Highlight the track names and go up top to the TRACK drop-down menu and select "split to mono" (or something like that) and all your stereo tracks will be split out to 2x mono tracks. You will then want to delete(or at least disable and hide) the extra tracks.
That would be like turning the pan knob on your stereo all the way to one side and thinking that you're hearing a mono mix of the song. You're not. You just threw half of the information away. You have to engage the mono button (if it has one) that will sum the left and right sides together.

I can't think of any way to collapse stereo to mono in Pro Tools without bouncing or re-recording. I've been looking, though.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submersible View Post
That would be like turning the pan knob on your stereo all the way to one side and thinking that you're hearing a mono mix of the song. You're not. You just threw half of the information away. You have to engage the mono button (if it has one) that will sum the left and right sides together.

I can't think of any way to collapse stereo to mono in Pro Tools without bouncing or re-recording. I've been looking, though.
Like I said, put both PAN knobs to 12 o'clock and you get summed mono out of a stereo track.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Like I said, put both PAN knobs to 12 o'clock and you get summed mono out of a stereo track.
Yep but it´s still double processing 2 mono files. Plugins will have to be stereo, double processing power. BTW a maybe little off topic here but a freeze feature in PT would be nice too. What´s the deal with it, maybe freezing tracks doesn't sounds 'professional' ?