Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-09-2022, 10:25 AM

Default Import session without adapting tempo?

I have two separate PT sessions that I want to combine. However, both sessions have different tempo’s, so when I import the second session into the first, PT will match up the tempo’s.

My first session is 160 bpm, and the session that I want to import from is 120 bpm. What happens is that the imported tracks will get sped up to 160bpm (I guess they call that elastic sound?), and whatever I try, I can’t find a way to turn it off.

Is there a trick to simply import these audio-tracks as they are, without adjusting their length and speed?

(Note: Both sessions are 48kHz, so that's not the issue.)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Import session without adapting tempo?

I'm guessing that each session is MIDI based OR has Elastic Audio turned on for AUDIO tracks.

If that's true, I'm guessing the MIDI is "tick-based" and/or EA audio "warped" onto the tempo BPM of each session.

If you have either MIDI and or AUDIO that you want to import, you need to do one of a few things which will be variably "lossy" in terms of the initial information in the session you import from.

1) Perhaps it's easiest to Save As... Then Select All Tracks, Commit them or Bounce them out to individual stems of audio, which no longer have Elastic warping of any sort, and THEN import those audio stems. Obviously, you lose FX and other edits, but the sound quality will be most faithful to the original, I think.

2) You might also Save As... Then edit the session to make the MIDI and Audio tracks "sample-based" and depending on whether you have any tempo automation (assuming not), then when you import those tracks, the timing might be absolute (sample) instead of tick (tempo). This option is potentially more confusing and prone to issues by my random guess.

Would something like the above work? What is your end goal in terms of not "adjusting length and speed" but putting them in the 'same session' with 'one tempo'?
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //