Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-11-2022, 12:14 AM

Default MIDI Electronic drum kit

Pro Tools 10 Mac OSX 10.8(I know I know but it works with my plug-ins) MBox 2…I have an old Simmons SD Xpress2 electronic drum set that I’m trying to connect using midi. I’ve tried YouTube videos and the user manual, if I create an instrument track I get no sound from it, if I create an MIDI track I can record sound and hear it but I can’t choose the same output as the rest of my tracks so it’s not part of my exported song, my only choice for outputs are the drum set itself(Simmons EDrum) or GTR Stomp 2 through GTR Stomp 4. How can I record something and have it bounce with the rest of the tracks in my session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2022, 08:59 AM

Default Re: MIDI Electronic drum kit

What sound source are you wanting to use? The sound from the drum kit, or a plugin drumkit(like EZDrummer). Here are some ideas(but I run PC so things may be a tad different for your Mac):
#1-using a drum plugin like EZDrummer; you insert the plugin on a stereo instrument track and put it into record-ready. Playing the E-kit should play the sounds of the plugin(which may need to be remapped so the snare pad plays the snare sound, the kick trigger plays the kick sound, etc). Most(if not all) drum plugins have presets for mapping to Roland and Yamaha E-kits, so they may also have a preset for Simmons.

#2-to use the sounds in the Simmons kit, you need to feed the audio outputs of the kit into your interface and select that input on a stereo instrument track(without any plugin). Alternately, you can use a midi track and a stereo aux track and feed the Simmons audio outs to this aux track(the instrument track combines the features of a midi track AND an aux track in one)

#3-go to youtube and search for some tutorials on setting up an E-kit with Pro Tools. It should work fine and I ran a Roland TD-10 kit with several different drum plugins with great success(until my biggest client insisted I get a real kit)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-11-2022, 02:31 PM

I wanted to use the sounds on the Simmons kit, the stereo aux idea is exactly what I need I believe…thank you so much, will be trying that in a few hours.

Old 08-16-2022, 02:52 PM

Did this ever solve your problem? If it did, take the next step and work on getting it sorted out with an INSTRUMENT track. Why? Because using an INSTRUMENT track combines the features of a midi track and aux track into a single track(which keeps things nice and tidy).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-18-2022, 10:43 AM

It did solve it! Thank you, will do…I appreciate your time.