Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Makin Beats

Whats up all My name is Ishaq I just got into the digi 001 from a friend. and I wanted to know is there a way to produce beats without using the midi. If not could someone help me with the basic midi set up for a Roland Xp-60 / Akai S2000 / and a midi controller..
Thanks

Ishaq
Old 01-30-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Makin Beats

Hi Ishaq
You can print hits from your synth and sampler into protools as audio. The way to do this is to connect the outputs of your hardware to inputs on the 001. You then open a pro tools session, create a track, put that track into record mode, with the relevant input selected, and manually play the hits you want into pt via a midi keyboard connected to the hardware. You then chop all these hits up and trim them. They will snap to the pro tools midi grid when in 'grid' mode and you can build your beats that way. The great advantages of this are 1. better timing than midi triggering offers 2. you can more easily separate different elements of the loop onto different tracks, which lets you process them with different plug ins. The dissadvantages are that editing takes longer, and you cannot 'play' a beat in. If you want to use midi, you must connect a midi interface to the computer, your keyboard synth and sampler to that, and then set them up in OMS. You then connect the audio outs to the 001 and set up a pro tools track to monitor that input pair. You can then create midi tracks, output them to the relevant synth etc, and play your keyboard to trigger them. The synth will play and be monitored in PT on the audio track you created. Confused? Dont worry it will become clearer. Dont be dismayed if it takes a day or two to get everything working. Jack
Old 01-30-2003, 07:22 PM

click here for how to demo's

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 01-30-2003, 07:58 PM

hey ishaq, first of all you need to check out 001 manual for basic setup and techniques. second, (after grasping the main idea behind audio and midi) hook up your Roland Xp-60 / Akai S2000. third, read Roland Xp-60 & Akai S2000 quick-start manuals. fourth, apply what jackruston has written. fifth, don’t ever start your sentence with "Whats up all My name is Ishaq!". sixth, respect! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]