Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Running out of CPU power on Quad Core?

Hello All,

I have exhausted all my options and I need help.

Today Protools started giving me trouble, Tons of CPU overload errors, and losing communication with he 002. but the CPU meter is only at 22% I have a session I am working on that has mostly audio tracks and 3 midi instruments.

recently I installed the Digitranslator2 I had an old ilok license that had an authorization on it from when I owned the AVID STUDIO TOOLKIT.

the problem coincides with the Digitranslaotr install however after removing the OMF.Bundle File the problem still persists

I have repaired permission
trashed prefs all prefs using the database helper
trashed databases and volume
restart, and Still.

The machine is a
Mac PRO Quad Core 2.66
4GB RAM
OS 10.5.7
Protools 8.01
Digi002
and Euphonix mc control

any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Running out of CPU power on Quad Core?

i'm runnning a session as we speak on a quadcore and no issues. i usually set my buffer sample rate between 128-512 and then 3 cores and put a check in the error box to avoid errors popping up and coming up in a session. then i set my disk buffer to 0 and when i'm in playback and mixing i go between medium and high on the cache size. i use a good amount of tracks, midi and aux buss. however i always print my midi to audio by sending it to an aux and then out to record it. i usually start from what i just said and play around with it.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 AM

Methinks you may have some incompatible plug ins. Try removing all third party plug ins and see if that clears it up.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 AM

I had an issue a while back and poster here, someone explained about certain plugins working overtime due to silence or near silence. Turned out to be a dverb...
think that protools is prone to this as I remember Protools keeps the plugins active all the time, apparently some other DAWs don't.

It may be worth bypassing plugins one at a time to see if the problem persists.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 AM

As in this case it was working right before, I think it can be easily an os related problem. Try downloading the free onyx app, which can maintain mac osx well.
Any plugins recently installed?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Hello All,

Thanks for the reply's

Funny thing about this is that, it has been running like a top since PTLE 8 came out. never a hiccup. Now all of a sudden....

I installed DigiTranslator, and all this starting happening. so I removed it, but it still happens. I had the CORES set to use all 4, so I knocked that down to 3, that seemed to help

Also it is not session specific, I started a new session, I put 8 Virtual instruments on it, and played, it will play back all 8 for about 10 secs then it stops and throws the CPU error at me even though the CPU meter is only at 30%

I checked the plug in versions using Digi's very cool updater, it said all my plug ins and software are up to date.

Any thought's now
Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM

best bet is to run through the suggested digi setup you can find in the top of the threads as well there is a link to a nice cleaner in there. also if i remeber correctly on a mac on your second drive you need to set it to non journaled or something like that so it reads as just a dump drive and not something you're running programs on but check the thread to be sure.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:09 AM

Don't Virtual Instruments load up into RAM?
8 VIs with 4GB of RAM?
I think you should get more RAM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:12 AM

Have you tried trashing prefs&databases after removing digitranslator. Onyx is a very good free app to maintain your os.
If we cannot narrow down the problem, than you should uninstall/reinstall pro tools.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by micline View Post
Hello All,

Thanks for the reply's

Funny thing about this is that, it has been running like a top since PTLE 8 came out. never a hiccup. Now all of a sudden....

I installed DigiTranslator, and all this starting happening. so I removed it, but it still happens. I had the CORES set to use all 4, so I knocked that down to 3, that seemed to help

Also it is not session specific, I started a new session, I put 8 Virtual instruments on it, and played, it will play back all 8 for about 10 secs then it stops and throws the CPU error at me even though the CPU meter is only at 30%

I checked the plug in versions using Digi's very cool updater, it said all my plug ins and software are up to date.

Any thought's now
Which VI's are these? It sounds like you have incompatible plug-ins installed or possibly ones that can't run entirely on an RTAS dedicated processor.

Please use the Tech Support Utility to generate and post a list of installed plug-ins and we'll take a look...