Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Strike Midi Export problem

I just upgraded to a Digi003 Factory; I had previously been using an 002 on my G5 PowerMac. I've been using Strike for quite a while with no problems, but the first time I tried to use it in a session since I upgraded, I found this strange problem... I start recording a performance while the song is playing, and when it's done I stop the transport and drag the Export Midi button into the session. I get the usual dialog, and click yes, and it creates the midi tracks... but the tracks are only about half as long as the song, as though part of the performance was lost on export. Strangely enough, the midi tracks end with the outro pattern I used in the performance, so the loss is apparently in the middle of the performance, not just cutting off the end.

Anybody have any idea what the problem could be? I upgraded to the latest version of Strike to see if that would help, but no luck...

Thanks.

PS: I've also had other problems since the upgrade, including occasional loss of mouse and keyboard functionality which only seems to be solvable by quitting Pro Tools and restarting...
Old 06-30-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Strike Midi Export problem

Quote:
I start recording a performance while the song is playing, and when it's done I stop the transport and drag the Export Midi button into the session. I get the usual dialog, and click yes, and it creates the midi tracks... but the tracks are only about half as long as the song, as though part of the performance was lost on export.
Really, so, before the 003 upgrade, you're able to playback a whole Strike performance and export the MIDI to track without missing a Pattern?

Wow, not many are capable of that, in fact, read a few reviews about Strike and you'll find one common complaint, the inability of Strike to perform the Export MIDI function correctly.

filosofem
Old 07-02-2007, 07:35 AM

And there I was feeling so superior to all those people who were having problems with it... what comes around goes around, I guess. For the time being, I'm reduced to exporting shorter performances, recording the midi output to an audio track, and then looping and editing the segments to create the full-length track. Not what I had in mind when I bought the plugin.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Ummm... why are you exporting the MIDI to Track than bussing that to Audio, why not just bus the Strike Instrument(s) directly?

filosofem
Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 AM

You're right, I could do that, and will in the future... I was just so used to having the Midi Export work for me that I hadn't thought of bypassing that step completely. And of course, having the drums as midi tracks allows some flexibility that audio doesn't.

But that's definitely a better workaround than what I've been doing... wouldn't it be nice if Digidesign would just fix the problem so that we didn't need workarounds? It's pretty basic to the functionality of the software...
Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 PM

Fair enough, though, you did know that you can add individual hits (Instruments) to the already existing Patterns using octaves C4 and above, which, incidentally, are re-assignable and conform to the Instruments Channel signal path?

And yes, I'm sure Digi/AIR are working to correct the issue, amongst other additions.

filosofem
Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Avid

Yes, we're definitely looking into it....!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 PM

I would like to be able to drag and drop the preset patterns straight from styles menu also. The playing of the preset patterns and then exporting them doesn't always work that well. I do like the style editor though, kinda reminds me of the old Cubase drum editor.

15" Macbook Pro R 2.6 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
27" iMac 2.8 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
Studio One 3/Reason 8/Live 9/Logic Pro 9/Main Stage 3
Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I would like to be able to drag and drop the preset patterns straight from styles menu
On to the Play Keys? This you can do.

filosofem
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM

No, into the Pro Tools edit window.

15" Macbook Pro R 2.6 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
27" iMac 2.8 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
Studio One 3/Reason 8/Live 9/Logic Pro 9/Main Stage 3