Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Using faders on Keystation Pro 88 with Pro Tools.

Hello.

I seem to have a problem when using the faders and knobs on the Keystation in Pro Tools when mixing a session. I can't control the faders in the mix window. This is also happing in Reason as well. I have the Keystaion connectedto the Midi in of the Digi002 rack and a JV 1080 connected to the midi out 1. Not sure what i'm doing wrong.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Using faders on Keystation Pro 88 with Pro Too

The keystation is a MIDI controller, not a control surface. As it is set up from the factory, it can not control the faders in PT.

There are instructions in appendix A of the MIDI control surfaces Guide on how to reprogram a MIDI device to function like a JL Cooper CS-10. (NOTE: I have never done this, I'm just pointing you to the information.) I don't know much about the keystation, so you'll have to find programming information for it elsewhere.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Using faders on Keystation Pro 88 with Pro Tools.

Here is a piece of an article I took from Sound on Sound, and a little piece of info I took from another post that will help you.
"My attempt to get an M Audio Oxygen 8 working as a CS10 emulator to control Pro Tools started off as a bit of fun, but it actually works quite well! The challenge is that although there are eight rotary knobs that can be stored in five banks, for a total of 40 controllers, there aren't any buttons. It's not the end of the world, though, because you can use knobs to control the button functions. If you set a knob to one of the control numbers that Pro Tools expects to be a button, you can emulate a button-press by momentarily turning the knob fully clockwise. I set up one bank of eight knobs to control faders, and another bank of eight as the four cursor keys and plug-in editing knobs. It might sound a bit of a gimmick, but it's actually pretty useful, especially for controlling soft synth plug-ins. Here's the quick-start guide for programming the Oyxgen 8: Press the MIDI/Select button and use the Octave Up/Down buttons to choose one of the five knob banks. Now hit MIDI/Select again, then press the note-key that has 'Set CTRL' printed above it. Press the '1' note-key to choose the first knob and press 'Enter' (the top key on the keyboard). The display will say 'P—', which is the prompt to enter a CC control number using the 0-9 keys. Type '64' (the Fader 1 control value) and 'Enter'. The display should now say 'C—' and you can now enter the MIDI channel, which must be '16'. Hit 'Enter' and 'MIDI/Select' to finish, and knob 1 should now be controlling your first Pro Tools fader"
Assign the following CC Values to pots or faders if you got 'em."

Faders
Fader 1 - Control Change Value (CC) 64
Fader 2 - CC 65
Fader 3 - CC 66
Fader 4 - CC 67
Fader 5 - CC 68
Fader 6 - CC 69
Fader 7 - CC 70
Fader 8 - CC 71

Global Pots
Global Pot 1 (Default as Pan) - CC 77
Pot 2 (Send 1) - CC 75
Pot 3 (Send 2) - CC 76
Pot 4 (Send 3) - CC 72
Pot 5 (Send 4) - CC 73
Pot 6 (Send 5) - CC 74
"

I first tried this with my oxygen 8, I got it working in about 10 minutes, Then I decided to try and program my cousins Keystation 88 and a radium 49 and I got them all programed. For the keystation 88 I would download the midi editor for it from m-audios web site. It was actually pretty easy, Just read what I post above and follow that and you should be good
Old 04-23-2006, 10:05 AM

I'm bumping an old thread but it seemed better than starting my own one. I'm using the Keystation Pro and am trying to set it up to control the faders PTLE 6.4. I'm a total dummie when it comes to MIDI though so I've been trolling some forums trying to find some answers. I tried to follow the instructions on the above reply but got lost. For example, there is no MIDI/Select button on the Keystation Pro 88. Should I be using Enigma to set this up? I downloaded the CS-10 MIDI driver. Does anyone have any useful resources or links or helpful words. I'm up to my ears in manuals and forum searching.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:48 PM

I've just managed to control the faders in protools using my keystation pro88 if your still interested.

1) move the slider or button your wanting to use
2) sselect Channel assign on tthe keystation and change the channel to 16
3) Select control assign and change the CC number the relevent control number for protools for example.

Audio faders 1-8 in protools are
CC 64
CC 65
CC 66
CC 67
CC 68
CC 69
CC 70
CC 71

If your already in Protools when your doing this (I was) then go into peripherals and select the cs10 midi controller.
The recieve from and send to options should be set as the usb audio interface.

As i was changing the CC numbers on the keystation i moved the releveant faders in protools to activate them. I then moved the faders on the keystation which then moved the faders in protools (Yipee).
using the controller guide issued with the cs10 driver i then went on to use the relevant CC numbers to control the transport bar for start stop record etc. I haven't got round to do anything else as yet (far too busy) but I will when I get the chance, now that I know it works.

Remember you'll have to convert the Hex numbers used by protools to binary. here's a convertor

http://www.geocities.com/binary_converter/

Once you've done it a couple of times it becomes quite easy.

Good luck if you haven't already suceeded
Here's a link to how I got my head round it all http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...toolsnotes.htm
Old 05-06-2006, 05:21 PM

The same method works for Oxygen 8 v2, the new version of Oxygen 8. My problem now is that I cant seem to work out what the CC numbers are for the various plugins I want to use. Is there an easy way to find out? For example: what number do you need for the the various parameters of EQ III?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:12 AM

I've just taken 5 minutes to do the channel assigns, and now I can control the first 8 faders in protools via my keystation pro. Yippee indeed. I'm far too busy as well to really screw around with too much on this right now, but I will post results and any new info for anyone else interested in this as soon as I get around to it.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:55 AM

Default PT\'s transport control CC\'s for Keystation Pro 88

Ok, well here are the converted hex codes to bung in your KeyPro 88 for controlling the Pro Tools transport controls (Rew, FF, Stop, etc ...)

Channel Assign (all) = 16

Control Assigns
==============
Rewind = CC 19
FF = CC 20
Stop = CC 21
Play = CC 22
Record = CC 23

Not gonna repeat the above posts for how to assign these buggers or how to setup Pro Tools to receive 'em.

Think i'll save 'em to enigma and post 'em somewhere (with the 8 faders included), pls dont ask me for them, i'll post a link when i have a minute....

Cheeyarz

Zill
Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubStudio View Post
The same method works for Oxygen 8 v2, the new version of Oxygen 8. My problem now is that I cant seem to work out what the CC numbers are for the various plugins I want to use. Is there an easy way to find out? For example: what number do you need for the the various parameters of EQ III?

Can anyone confrim it its possible to control the plugins in pro tools with a midi controllor. Not the plugins that you can assign MIDI Learn to obviously... Would like to be able to control some parameters on some of the air plugins.

I realise the axiom pro does this automatically but can it be programmed using say a cheap evolution x-session controller

cheers
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Using faders on Keystation Pro 88 with Pro Tools.

infact. in trying to do this. I am using pro tools 8 but there is not cs-10 profile for PT8. only 7.4. usng mac

I tried putting 7.4 version of cs-10 in pro tools/controllor folder but its not picking it up in peripherals/midi controllors.

Is there any way round this ???

thanks

Edit. infact found the correct version for pro tools 8. this at least loads but the inputs are greyed out as noted for other people with this problem. I guess there is no way round this from what i have read due to resources..... ah well.