Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM

Default New Mac Mini w/Mavericks: will 002 drivers give me nightmares?

I just got a new Mac Mini for audio and am in the process of rebuilding my home recording setup. In my haste, I downloaded the latest drivers in hopes of using my 002R as an interface. That was before I read this article that warns against installing the drivers because they cannot be installed. Surprisingly, Pro Tools 8.05 works on the new machine. Opening up Garageband, however, is a nightmare. I still can't get everything to work right and my Mini usually hangs. I know, I know, I was/am playing with fire.
I've already decided to upgrade to 11 to save myself headache.

My question is, should I just totally wipe my system and start over again? Aside from my personal settings and a few documents, there is nothing major on this computer. Would that make life easier?

Also, I understand that the 002R is unsupported and now a legacy product, but is it a totally bad idea to use it for PT 11 and Logic Pro? I don't want to buy a new interface, but I'll do it if it's necessary to make music without constantly fighting my setup.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:46 AM

Default Re: New Mac Mini w/Mavericks: will 002 drivers give me nightmares?

For sure there will be several different opinions out there, I just say what me
personally would do from my personal experience.
Me also use PT11 and Logic Pro X side by side on 1 system successfully, using
also a Mac Mini i7 2,3GHz, 16GB Ram.

1. IMO you should wipe your system and start over again. Just because
with Mavericks particularly itīs a bad idea to combine old (not supported)
and new stuff. Mavericks canīt handle that very well and sooner or later
the system just will get messed up.
2. IMO again you should not try to use the 002 with PT11 anymore. Itīs just that
it actually doesnīt work properly with all the new software (Mavericks, PT11).
Itīs more that by happenstance a few people get it to work in a way while more of the users
out there are facing troubles on trying it. You just should spare yourself that experience IMO.

What I would suggest to do would be to use your (hopefully registered) 002 to
get the upgrade to Pro Tools 11 (LE to PT11) which is about $399.-.
You could get it from Avid directly
http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDe...t=&&store=shop
or e.g. from Sweetwater (they got a pretty cool support if necessary)
http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/protools11/

Further I would get a really recent audio interface. Doesnīt have to be the most
expensive but IMO it should be one not older than 1-2 years as to itīs release date.
Just because if you have to invest an amount of money now you should be able
to use it for more than 2-3 years/2 software upgrades (either Mac OS or Pro Tools).
If you buy a quite recent unit now you will be on the safe side for a few years again.

You know, from LE7-PT10 me also had an 003R which was a great unit
but the drivers got worse by every new version of Pro Tools, so I decided to get rid of it
when I changed to PT11 and I have never looked back.

You may check out how many I/Os you definitely may need now
because this will be the most crucial parameter (besides the price) on buying a new interface.
If you donīt need many I/Os now but maybe in the future, you could save money
by buying now one with 2-max. 4 inputs e.g. which on the other hand
would provide ADAT I/Os e.g., so that you could later, when there would be the need of more
inputs, get an external preamp unit and connect it to the interface via ADAT to achieve 8 additional inputs.
Means, save money now while being prepared for the future ;-).

Anyway.
Thatīs just my personal thoughts of course.
But I definitely think you should not mix up the 002, Mac OS Mavericks, LE8
or PT11 and Logic Pro X etc.
I donīt think itīs gonna give a really good time in a way.
Itīs much more recommended to use hardware and software from the same
era of time as it will work together way better than the combination of old and new.

Means, if you would have stayed with a computer you could have used Mac OS 10.6.8 with
I never would have suggested to upgrade Pro Tools or the audio interface because this was a
really well working system-LE8.0.5/Mac OS 10.6.8/002-003-
but as you have got a new Mac with Mavericks now, IMO you for sure will get better
results (and less troubles) with the fitting version of Pro Tools as well as a fitting interface.

Wishing you the best of luck, have a great time,

VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.3, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10,
Pro Tools 11.1.3, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc