Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Default how to install 2 different versions of protools on one computer?

hi all! i've got 2 protools setups: 1 protools hd setup i use in my studio, and 1 m-audio setup for my laptop. unfortunately, my 192 i/o is doing that thing where you get static in one channel, except it's in EVERY CHANNEL. so, till i can come up with both $300+ bucks to repair it, plus ~$400 for 2 round trip tickets to jakarta (and the nearest licensed digi technician) i'm gonna have to use my m-audio setup for recording, and my hd system for mixing.

however, while i have a license for both protools hd 8.0 AND protools m-powered 8.0, i cant seem to install both on my system. the install setup routine wont let me choose the install path during installation, so the two versions just continue to write over each other. is there some trick i'm missing here to do this?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 AM

Default Re: how to install 2 different versions of protools on one computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkaz View Post
hi all! i've got 2 protools setups: 1 protools hd setup i use in my studio, and 1 m-audio setup for my laptop. unfortunately, my 192 i/o is doing that thing where you get static in one channel, except it's in EVERY CHANNEL. so, till i can come up with both $300+ bucks to repair it, plus ~$400 for 2 round trip tickets to jakarta (and the nearest licensed digi technician) i'm gonna have to use my m-audio setup for recording, and my hd system for mixing.

however, while i have a license for both protools hd 8.0 AND protools m-powered 8.0, i cant seem to install both on my system. the install setup routine wont let me choose the install path during installation, so the two versions just continue to write over each other. is there some trick i'm missing here to do this?

You'll need to clone your system drive on to another hard drive partition (carbon copy cloner) and install MP on the clone. first remove HD from the clone partition and trash all prefs using this app...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=190122

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:21 AM

Thanks Chris,

I joined this community to ask the same question!
Useful link.

O-B
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM

however, while i have a license for both protools hd 8.0 AND protools m-powered 8.0, i cant seem to install both on my system. the install setup routine wont let me choose the install path during installation, so the two versions just continue to write over each other. is there some trick i'm missing here to do this?[/QUOTE]

Chris is correct. We both have cloned drives and I have a version of 7.4 on one of my drives which keeps me safe and happy if something goes terribly wrong. Get Super Duper and use is as a cloning device. It's cheap, I think $30, and it works greet.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
hi all! i've got 2 protools setups: 1 protools hd setup i use in my studio, and 1 m-audio setup for my laptop. unfortunately, my 192 i/o is doing that thing where you get static in one channel, except it's in EVERY CHANNEL.
Have you tried opening the 192 and reseating the edge connectors?
This has worked for me in the past, heat can cause movement and the contact can be lost between card and connector.

Worth a try.

Regards
Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 AM

You need to install on a separate hard drive. Clone to new drive, remove everything PT and install new PT. Name one drive LE and one HD if need to.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
You need to install on a separate hard drive. Clone to new drive, remove everything PT and install new PT. Name one drive LE and one HD if need to.

well, that kinda sucks - i've already got my system drive superduping once a week to a second backup hard drive, adding 2 more drives just to run another version of protools seems like expensive overkill, but i absolutely dont want to stop backing up my system drive. surely there's another way?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Have you tried opening the 192 and reseating the edge connectors?
This has worked for me in the past, heat can cause movement and the contact can be lost between card and connector.

Worth a try.

any instructions online on how to do this? the warrantee is long expired anyway, and i'm used to the insides of computers already so maybe this is something i could do myself... if only i knew what an edge connector was!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
well, that kinda sucks - i've already got my system drive superduping once a week to a second backup hard drive, adding 2 more drives just to run another version of protools seems like expensive overkill, but i absolutely dont want to stop backing up my system drive. surely there's another way?!?!?
Hi,

It doesn't have to be a new hard drive! just a clean partition big enough to clone your system drive to. i have 3 different boot systems on partitions.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.