Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-10-2002, 12:10 AM

Default PCI usage meter overload at startup

I am getting a frequent PCI usage meter (in the system usage window) overload on startup of ProTools. The only thing I have on the PCI bus is the 001, so it is not overloading. When I quit ProTools and then launch it again it usually (9 times out of 10) works fine. It is a bother to have to start up twice.

Any workaround to eliminate the problem. I am on a 733 G4. Lots of ram, and not much else on the computer.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Avid

Default Re: PCI usage meter overload at startup

An extension conflict could cause this behaivor:
-Open the Extensions Manager Control Panel. From the selected set pop-up menu, select “OS 9.x base” click on “Duplicate Set" (name the set whatever you like), enable the following extensions and restart the computer:
-Digidesign Control Panel
-DigiSystem INIT
-Digidesign Direct I/O
-Digidesign DSP Manager
-Digidesign Stream Manager
-Open Music System
-USB Floppy Enabler

Brent
Old 11-27-2002, 06:06 PM

My ProTools acts strangely. All my sessions even a brand new one with no tracks created or audio recorded, shows a PCI load in the System load window of approximately 50%.
Is this normal? I also get an error now and then that my PCI is overloaded blah blah. Also in Logic I get often I/O errors.

Quicksilver DUAL Ghz, using one monitor, DIGI001(in slot 4 does it matter accually in which pci slot you put it?).

Please help,
Sookie
Old 11-29-2002, 09:15 AM

Sookie,

This is normal when you have ADAT optical format selected (18 input channels). Switch optical format to SPDIF in Playback Engine setup to make PCI load much less(10 channels). However this will mute RCA SPDIF....

Jack
Old 11-29-2002, 09:18 AM

Sookie,

This is normal when you have ADAT optical format selected (18 input channels). Switch optical format to SPDIF in Playback Engine setup to make PCI load much less(10 channels). However this will mute RCA SPDIF....

Jack
Old 11-29-2002, 09:43 AM

Hi,
in my experience with 001, on G4 450 AGP, I had loadsa problems between scsi card and 001 pci slots- having similar messages show up saying PCI buss too busy or similar.
This was cured by ensuring that the 001 card went in PCI slot 1, and scsi card in slot 3.
001 seems really picky as to which slot it sits in , and seems to demand that it has the first slot, - guess it wants to read all the data first or something...not all PCI slots are created equal I guess !
Good luck
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock