Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Re: General tv mixing rules

Hi Branko,

I wanted to try this method before replying to you.

Well, I tried and it worked fine for me. Digi's compressor has a preset called vocal leveler from which I started with some very good results.

Nevertheless, I have some doubts.For example, the only bad side effect is that I lost a little bass response. Do you filter that on the compressor, so it will not act over that part of the sprectrum? What could I do?

Although, I'm not thinking of buying it, I also checked the aphex compellor manual. And found it curious that its leveler is set with a ratio of 20:1.

At last, how could I improve this sistem by keying all the processors? Sorry, but I didn't get it.

Thanks in retard
Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM

Hi Al,

You might want to try L2 instead of L1 as L1 has a kind of harsh upper midrange bark, particularly on full mixes. Unfortunately these days louder is better!

Doug
Old 07-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Hi Cinetj
I thought a bit more about the issue, and it definitely makes no sense to trigger from the same point. My mistake. You actually need each next stage to detect the signal already processed by the previous stage, so keying the detector from the same point makes no sense.
As for the Compellor's ratios, it is probably true, i guess they're varying the threshold depending on the program. It is a question of different concepts. The above described has worked for me. You can further enhance the system by applying split-band compression or limiting at any stage. A setup like this can be pretty transparent.
I remembered Compellor, because it was the first dynamic processor of such a kind I used back in 80's.
Branko
Old 07-11-2008, 02:46 PM

Hi Branko,

Thank you for answering my doubts. The lost of bass response happens to you also? What do you do to fix it?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Hi Al,

You might want to try L2 instead of L1 as L1 has a kind of harsh upper midrange bark, particularly on full mixes. Unfortunately these days louder is better!

Doug
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I dont have the L2 plug-in. I just have Waves Gold right now, but I am thinking about upgrading soon. Have any of you guys tried the Waves MaxxVolume plug? If so, how did you like it?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I dont have the L2 plug-in. I just have Waves Gold right now, but I am thinking about upgrading soon. Have any of you guys tried the Waves MaxxVolume plug? If so, how did you like it?
If you don't have the L2, get the L2007 from Steven M. Massey. Sounds just as good, and it's cheap.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL. View Post
Hi Philip,

Thanks for the reply and useful information. I will definitely go see what they are using to measure thier levels and post back here.

I got an email from the tech department yesterday saying they want my settings to go from -10 to -6db, which I did. They then came back today and said it was also too low.

Turns out they want exactly as you mentioned, the average levels, not the peaks. Is this usually how a TV station would request a mix, or would they request a peak level? My mixes are turning out super harsh now, which sound like everything else on Vietnamese TV.

It's a developing market here and when flipping the channels you will HUGE differences between volume levels. I'm trying to figure out if I have been doing it wrong all along, or if thier settings are not ideal.

Thanks!

AL.
Hi AL,
Are you Vietnamese ? It's good to see someone post a thread about TV broadcast standard here in this forum. and yes, you're right. It's totally chaos when it comes to standard here in Vietnam. I'm also struggling from defining a standard to mix so that I can achieve a better mix. It is also pitiful that they broadcast in Mono . If you have free time, buzz me, we can have coffee and chit chat