Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2001, 07:07 PM

Default animation software for Digi001 user

Hello,

I am a Digi001/PT LE user, but this question relates to 3D animation software. I know this is the wrong place to ask about this, but I also know from reading previous posts that there are a lot of people here who are also into graphics and multimedia and I have had a really hard time finding out information about 3D animation programs.

I thought that maybe I could get other Digi001/Pro Tools LE users to help. I really want to create animation shorts with orginal music and audio created on the Digi001/PT LE system. I have no animation experience, and I have heard that some of the programs I will list are better for novices like me than others. I'm looking for a system with the right blend of power/performance and features which has a flexible and novice-friendly learning curve and will run stable on my dual 500 Mhz G4. I will be getting them at student discount so price comparisons are not a big issue.

The animation packages I am considering are:

- Electric Image Universe
- Maxon Cinema 4D XL
- Lightwave 3D
- Strata Studio Pro

I'm just looking for opinions on ease of use for learning beginners like me, overall power/feature set comparisions between the programs I have mentioned, and whether any are more conflict prone than others.

I may not get any replies, but I really want to know what some animators think about these applications, and I was hoping some fellow Digi001/PT LE users might be able and willing to help me.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-13-2001, 02:28 PM

Default Re: animation software for Digi001 user

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dave23:
I'm looking for a system with the right blend of power/performance and features which has a flexible and novice-friendly learning curve and will run stable on my dual 500 Mhz G4. I will be getting them at student discount so price comparisons are not a big issue.

The animation packages I am considering are:

- Electric Image Universe
- Maxon Cinema 4D XL
- Lightwave 3D
- Strata Studio Pro

I'm just looking for opinions on ease of use for learning beginners like me, overall power/feature set comparisions between the programs I have mentioned, and whether any are more conflict prone than others.

Thanks,

Dave
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before going out and shelling an adequate amount of $'s on any of the above, try out the entrance level dowload of Strata -> http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=8019

Now be aware, the software is *free*, BUT, to make up for it, you have to purchase the manual for $30.00 (approx.)

There is an online manual (you can purchase either the printer friendly PDF, or get the physical manual mailed to you, but I've just gone to the online manual when I needed info, it's a pain in the ass, but it allows you to get the work done)

I, just like you, have wanted to get into animation and the like just for the basic understanding.

If you search around the main strata site, they do have a few user communities that will help you out as well.

Now, I'm still in the beginning/novice stages of 3D, but for freeware, this program is definitely powerful for it's price, NOTHING!

If you do get one or the other programs, and/or this one, let me know your thoughts on the other ones you've picked.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:35 PM

You can also try FORM-Z , hope you have heard it! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Well, it all depends on your requirements, effects, filters you needed for your graphics. Strata is also a very good tool for 3D work. You have a good selection of 3D software taste! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Enjoy creating 3D animation with Digi001...
Old 06-14-2001, 09:15 AM

Strata is a fully useable program, the free one. I use it all the time, pixels 3d is a good free one too. Plan on spending a good month learning he software, even if your a graphics pro. otherwise lightwave is probably out of your league as an amature at roughly $2500, cinima d Xl is good too, but at $1650. Start small, between pixels 3D and strata you should be set for awhile. When youve mastered those then maybe consider the big guns. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2001, 11:06 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by KamaSutra77:
[QB]Strata is a fully useable program, the free one. I use it all the time, pixels 3d is a good free one too.QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey Kama, do you have any links to the pixels 3d????

Thanks,
Bill