Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-28-2002, 04:45 AM

Default Hands up who\'s bored with HD already!!!

Hey People, I reckon HD is great and stuff but let's face it....Hands Up who got a 24Bit/192K CD Player???
....Can you seriously hear the difference between 96 and 192 let alone 44.1-that makes you say-gotta have that! ..I know the average listener can't!!!

Of Course it sounds better....they would'nt be selling the damn thing otherwise!

Where did all the good Topics Go?

I'm Bying a Fairlight or a DSP...(tee-hee).

laterz.

Oh Yeah, and Digi...make all these HD-Freaks their own section will ya'!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Hands up who\'s bored with HD already!!!

Of course I'm bored with HD.

I don't use PT to excite me, I use it to help me make music. It's the music that excites me. That's why I use PT, because it doesn't distracts me from making music.

So I hope and expect that I will be thinking about PT hd even less than I am about my current mix system.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:49 AM

Hi Met. I posted a simple observation and have copied it here for you to read. maybe it will make things a little clearer for you.

I hear to much about "What difference does it make because we mix down at 44.1 16bit".

Well it makes a massive difference. Its a bit like recording on a Tascam 1" 24 track, versus a Studer 2" 24 track. Even with the same mixing desk the Studer mix will sound better regardless of what medium its mixed down on. (using the same engineer btw!)

I dont get why a lot people cant understand that.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:10 AM

I think what they're trying to say is, when the end result is a 16bit 44.1 CD, it really doesn't make that big of a difference. I plan on getting the HD in the future (the far future), but only because I'm afraid the Mix+ will no longer be supported. Not because I can record at 192. I'll still probably record at 44.1

Cheers!
Old 01-29-2002, 10:04 AM

"...and on the 8th day, God created Pro Tools."

Yea, that's why he had to rest on the 7th. Now he's mad because on the 9th day Digi made him upgrade. I'll bet he can hear those frequencies on the 192k though.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:33 PM

Not bored...just not impressed.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> I think what they're trying to say is, when the end result is a 16bit 44.1 CD, it really doesn't make that big of a difference. I plan on getting the HD in the future (the far future), but only because I'm afraid the Mix+ will no longer be supported. Not because I can record at 192. I'll still probably record at 44.1 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why aren't any of you planning on making 96kHz DVD's or DVD-audio discs or even 192kHz DVD-audios. Pioneer has a new combo drive coming out that plays DVD-audio and SACD and is affodable. I'm buying one - then I'm going to buy Björk's DVD-audio of "Vespertine" then Super Furry Animals new DVD and listen. Then I'm going to upgrade to HD (I'm ready for surround now) - then I'm going to get some software only authoring and encoding tools and burn some DVD's. Why make CD's only? If we make the superior product - people will want it.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:12 PM

The bottom line is:

It's here. It's not going away.
It will just get better. We will all upgrade eventually.
We will be glad we did.
We will put out the best sounding stuff on the planet, whether we can tell the difference or not.
We can jump on the 'HD' train or we can be left behind.

Please look beyond CD technology.
One day we'll be leaving DVD audio behind, so you might as well climb this rung now and live here with the now.