How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 AM

Default POP! noises when moving channels

Hi guys/gals,

We're using an SC48 (v 2.9.1), and we're having an issue with "moving selected strips here" and "making selected strips stereo." Performing either of those actions generates a very loud 'pop' that not only goes through our FOH speakers, but is (I'm told by our MON) painfully loud on stage. Furthermore, when we go from a show file where channels have been moved/stereo'd to a new one, we get the same loud pop.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 AM

Default Re: POP! noises when moving channels

This is a normal behaviour. This is why you have to be in Config mode to move channels. Config mode generally indicates a function that may interrupt audio.

Mute up before you set up your desk and don't move channels midshow.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 AM

The console is reconfiguring things on the DSP's which causes the poping sound you speak of. Nothing is wrong with the system, it is normal.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 AM

does the sc48 have hard relay mutes on the outputs like the bigger consoles do?

do the bigger consoles mute when reconfiguring dsp? i know they do when you shut it off... guess i've never paid much attention to it when reconfiguring dsp.

seems like it shouldn't be painfully loud popping, as the OP suggest, regardless of whether they mute or not...
Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Interesting question. I can say anecdotally that we use the Venue system and it pops, but its pretty minor and doesn't require muting the processing. Not something you'd do with IEMs on, but not that big of a deal either.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
Interesting question. I can say anecdotally that we use the Venue system and it pops, but its pretty minor and doesn't require muting the processing. Not something you'd do with IEMs on, but not that big of a deal either.
This is exactly what I thought. But now the show file changes seem to be 'louder.' Turning the board off without having to run across Kingdom Come to hit the amps is a nice touch, though.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Avid

Quote:
does the sc48 have hard relay mutes on the outputs like the bigger consoles do?
The analog output cards (AO16) have hardware relays for muting. These should result in a fairly low-level pop during a mute sequence, although the volume will also depend on the gain structure of the devices downstream (speaker processor, power amps, powered speakers).

Note that the ancillary I/O (2-track, monitor, etc.) located in the bottom left of the console rear is NOT relay-muted. If any of these outputs are used to drive the PA then the pop can be much louder.

Sheldon