Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2020, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Frozen files

I don't have any solution but I think your test results are correct.

When I transfer a session to another drive I always copy the whole freeze folder (just in case, to be sure) because in the past I was randomly missing audio files when I didn't
Old 02-21-2020, 07:09 AM

Pro Tools does exhibit inconsistent behavior with frozen files. As previously stated, the files are maintained after un-freezing in order to make that undoable. So if you clear the undo queue—for example by deleting a track—those rendered files will be discarded. But if you instead close the session—which also clears the undo queue—unused freeze files are saved. So just do anything that clears the un do queue prior to closing a session in order to get rid of these files.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:00 AM

Ok, now I probably understand this. You can't directly management frozen files in PT. As AE stated, PT does everything automatically.
However, after you clear undo queue (deleting track, closing session etc) you can delete old frozen files, BUT ONLY FROM FINDER.
So, I still think, there should be option for automatic "delete unused frozen files", when the undo-queue is clearing. Do you think, this could be possible and how about other users, would you like to have it?
There is actually three affecting things. Firstly, time to render new frozen file, versus hdd/sdd space. And also, little complicated way to do this deleting now from finder. I say little complicated, because in finder, there is no any way to see, what file is active and what is not.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:19 AM

How often it is a problem in the middle of a session?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:19 AM

Probably there is a lot´s of variation among users. That's why I asked this. To me, this is frustrating problem. Not a BIG one, but as I said, there should be OPTION for automatic deleting. It doesn't take long for PT to build a new frozen file. In this scenario, a HD/sdd would stay cleaner etc.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:26 AM

I haven't tried but if you set your undo levels to zero to one it might do the trick. As said, as long as the session is open (undo queue is active) the file must not be deleted. So the setting would anyway only affect to the unnecessary files OUTSIDE of the undo queue.

If you do this more often than needed, why not save, close the session, reopen the session and let PT clean as it is designed to? Not necessary to mess with your UNDO
Old 02-23-2020, 12:26 PM

Sorry, I didn't quite follow you. You said "reopen the session and let PT clean".
As I wrote, PT does not clear or clean anything, after the undo queue is cleared first time. So, my proposition is, that PT would delete not active freeze files, when undo queue is cleared....when you close the session, for example.
Actually, most stupid thing is (this really is stupid feature), that PT builds a new freeze version every time. I mean, you freeze the track, unfreeze it and freeze the same track again. The result is two identical versions. Only difference is the version number.
Maybe you could pass this new feature request to proper place (soft developers etc).
Old 02-23-2020, 12:37 PM

You can contact Avid Support for this, that is what you pay for.

Different version of freeze / unfreeze / refreeze comes from the length of undo queue. You need to be able to undo both freezes. If it didn't do that, it would be a major problem.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:00 PM

So, it's not possible to have a single file, witch shares many undo levels? Well, I am not a programmer....maybe this is some limitation of computer programming.
Anyway, I wil send this request to Avid support. Still, thanks for the help.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:10 PM

No, it isn't. WAV file does not support that. Undo works in such a way you have multiple files and the session knows which to use.