Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 PM

Default PT 8.0 key features

So with all this talk about possible new PT hardware, TDM versus CPU power etc. What should a new form of HD feature to justify the current pricerange?
It's obvious that the gap between HD and LE is closing, so I'm not talking about features that would improve the current workflow, but radical changes to hard and software, that would open up new possibilities.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 AM

The most radical change in PT would be sequence-handling, bins and network capabilities. PT is still the most linear of all non-linear edit systems. This needs to change!

I have no idea what "new possibilities" new hardware could bring. An output is an output is an output. An input is an input...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM

A Digi blessed Madi I/O box would be nice for those of us with digital consoles with Madi I/O.

Buddy
Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
A Digi blessed Madi I/O box would be nice for those of us with digital consoles with Madi I/O.

Buddy
I record stems back into my Pro Tools. If Digi would have a Madi solution, I'd buy another system to record mix stems. Multiple 192 interfaces just to go between machines is silly.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:05 PM

Peter, consider this your lucky day then.... (or maybe you've seen this)

MADI For Pro Tools

And it's cheaper than PT stuff, and works like a charm!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM

I think he was talking rig to rig no other hardware needed

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-15-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
The most radical change in PT would be sequence-handling, bins and network capabilities. PT is still the most linear of all non-linear edit systems. This needs to change!
+1

* Wow, you're not allowed to post "+1's" anymore? I got an error message that said my post must be at least 10 characters. What if someone asks a question that only requires a short answer like a keyboard shortcut? Weird.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:17 PM

Oh, and I have a few requests for PT 8.0:

1. Multiple sessions or sequences (like Frank said).

2. Bins (nahh...that would leave us nothing to hope for)

3. Audiosuite with handles

4. Multiple Audiosuite undo history (à la Nuendo)

5. Clip-based gain (à la Nuendo)

6. Waveforms that indicate relative volume, so when you raise the volume of the clip, the waveform size increases (à la Nuendo)

7. Waveforms that are visible at low amplitude (i.e. not little pixelated chunks or completely invisible)

8. Waveforms that redraw automatically after using the pencil tool

9. Macros (à la Nuendo or Quickeys)

10. The ability to somehow customize the tool selector or at least lock out stupid tools like the loop trimmer

11. Ditch the Y (snap to TC) shortcut or at least allow me to lock it out before I go postal in the cutting room!

12. Fix the Spotlight functionality in the Import window (it is currently defective). Enter a search item, the add/ copy buttons go gray. Stop the search, the search results disappear. Yay!

13. Fix the "deleting automation deletes regions when selecting across multiple tracks with mixed automation playlists or MIDI/instrument tracks" bug or "feature" or whatever

14. Revamp the auto-fade window and bring it into the 21st century or combine it with the Fade Preferences i.e. let me set the length and type of fade in preferences rather than the weird auto-fade window

15. Add track colors to Import Session Data (ISD)

16. In the ISD window, the ability to import from a selected timecode range

17. In the ISD window, fix the "some/all" checklist debacle so I don't have to open and close it 10 times

18. Fix the "overlay" ISD function so that it does not affect automation earlier on the timeline i.e. allow me to match tracks, import and overlay from a previous version, offset by one hour, and not have it blow away automation that existed in the first hour

19. Export selected tracks as new session (link, copy, or consolidate media) à la the OMF export menu item

20. Fix region groups

20a. Automatically store region groups in the Region Groups folder without having to Export them from the hidden Regions List menu

20b. Retain volume and pan automation when exported/ imported

20c. Fix the fade region group over fades in regions bug

20d. Maybe a preference that region group gets named from copying the first region instead of the track name

20e. Probably more I can't think of right now

21. Updated D-Verb (2.0 or D-Verb III or whatever). A stock reverb that sounds better than my 80s Quadraverb

21. Track/region colors that are easier on the eyes. Kill the neon pink, yellow, and green

OK. That's enough from me. Oh, and don't tell to "switch to Nuendo" (I'm looking at you, Henchman). I don't want to switch (at least not until the industry does).
Old 08-15-2008, 01:36 PM

... please make it just as rock solid as it used to be for years. lots of single disappointments since PT 7 here. basic things like all over performance has gone much worser. sometimes pro tools crashes if i set some markers or do a "save as"... the longer i´m working on one single session (without making it sificnicant bigger) the slower PT seems to get. also the performance - slow - down whilst instantiating some (rather one VI) VIs - it´s a joke... at the moment the price stands in no relation to what i get out of pro tools 7 and above...
i don´t wanna learn nuendo or logic... i don´t like em.
so - please guys - come up with something... just one system that runs without tweak- and work-arounds... thnx.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:53 PM

Pascal,

click here