Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Default PT MIX|24 Crashing after pressing play...

I have a system here running on a Dual 1Ghz G4 with 2Ghz of RAM. It's Mac OSX version 10.3.8.

I have installed 6.4.1 with the cs updates for the 24 Mix hardware 888 I/O. The system crashes right after pressing play either via spacebar or clicking play on the transport. Sometimes the system freezes with no message, and sometimes I get the dreaded gray screen with "Hold down your restart button",...which we call the "Grim Reaper."

I've reinstalled the software and have done TechTool and DiskWarrior diagnostics, and have also done a repair permissions in Disk Utility. No luck. I've also tried changing the playback buffer to high and low values.

It seems to be an incompatible connectivity issue between the Mix Core card and the Computer port on the I/O, but I'm not positive. It could be that my core card is in the wrong slot, but I did follow instructions and put it in the slot next to the PCI Extender Card, and put all remaining cards after it (2 Mix Farms and 2 DSP Farms. DSP Farms dont even show up).

I have a Digidesign Magma 13-slot chassis..
If anyone can help please do.

I will also try calling Digi Tech Support, but I've heard that MIX systems are no longer supported...
Thanks for your time and help..

Steve Schatz
Video Symphony
818-557-7200
Old 03-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: PT MIX|24 Crashing after pressing play...

you have .5 gb's too much ram.

how did ya get 2gb's of ram in that machine anyways?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I have a system here running on a Dual 1Ghz G4 with 2Ghz of RAM.
This is not possible unless you have two (2) 1GB RAM chips in this Mac, and even that would be unsupported. Please open the About This Mac window and check again.
Quote:
It's Mac OSX version 10.3.8.
This was not tested with v6.4.1, nor is it supported. I happen to know that on one system it works, but that could very well be luck.
Quote:
It seems to be an incompatible connectivity issue between the Mix Core card and the Computer port on the I/O, but I'm not positive. It could be that my core card is in the wrong slot, but I did follow instructions and put it in the slot next to the PCI Extender Card, and put all remaining cards after it (2 Mix Farms and 2 DSP Farms. DSP Farms dont even show up).
What slot in the Macintosh is your expansion chassis card in? Is the TDM ribbon cable connected to all five of your TDM cards (Core, 2 MIX Farms, 2 DSP Farms)? Does DigiTest show all of the cards, and if you run DigiTest, do you get any failures?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:42 AM

The G4 has 4 memory slots, each one is 512mb. How is that impossible? I checked the About this Mac again. It says 2GB DDR RAM. Its not the Quicksilver G4, but the Mirrored Door one...
Old 03-24-2005, 06:44 PM

I stand corrected! I thought you had a QuickSilver 2002. What about my other questions though?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:56 PM

Ya ... been there done that .. a few months ago.

Had all the same messages and symptoms.

For some idiotic reason I had created a file on the Protools drive rather than one of the clean 6 gig data drives.
Audio needs a clean finite area to work in and I was sending it to the woods !

Asuming that is not Your cause .... I would pull out all cards except the Core card. Start a new file on an empty drive.
See what happens ... and go from there. If the problem disappears.... then start adding things back one at a time..

Jon
58th ...