Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 PM

Default i need some help with setting up midi....

i'm running protools le 8....i've just installed superior drummer 2.0 and i've also got an akai mpd18 pad controller with a usb hookup.... for some reason i can't get SD2 or protools to recognize the pad controller....and when i open SD2 inside of protools, i can't get any sound... does anyone have any idea of what's happening??
Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 PM

Default Re: i need some help with setting up midi....

Since I can't see what you're doing, let me lay out what works for me. Create a STEREO INSTRUMENT track and insert SD in the very top insert slot. Click the record-enable button on this track and hit the pads on the Akai unit. If it still doesn't work, did you install the drivers that came with the Akai? If yes, go to midi studio setup and add a device(the Akai unit). Then in the MIX window, select VIEW>Mix Window Shows> and check Instrument. That should add a row of boxes at the top of the mix window strips. By default, the instrument track should show the input(midi input-NOT audio input) as ALL. If you click on that "button" you can select the Akai(assuming you did the midi studio setup routine). Let me know if this fails to get you going(so I can scratch my head too)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM

hey, i tried everything that you said...and still no sound. when i open SD2 in a stereo instrument track (inside of protools) i can get sound if i click the drums on the SD2 main screen with my mouse...however, when i try to map them to the akai...i get nothing... the akai has a usb interface...i didn't think i had to load drivers for that...lol do i?? when i try to load "toontrack solo" i get audio errors that say...no ASIO device available....and....failed to load audio driver...... and for the record...out of 3 massive corporations, 2 large retail chains and host of tech support facilities....YOU are the only guy that's offered me any help! thanks man...i appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:57 AM

Do the akai pads work with the software it came with? From Akai's website I believe it came with an editor on a CD.
Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 PM

hey mike, the pads did come with an editor on a CD...and i'm not really sure if it's working with it or not! lol when i touch the pads nothing happens on the editor screen and vice/versa... i'm not even sure if it's supposed to. LOL i'm not sure if my problem is with the akai mpd18 or the superior drummer.... i'm kinda befuzzled! LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariahsaint View Post
when i touch the pads nothing happens on the editor screen and vice/versa
I'd focus on getting the bundled editor working with your pads. It should be able to record live takes, do midi dumps, stuff like that.

Try getting onto akai or the place you bought it from and say its not working with the included software out of the box. This narrows it down and excludes protools/SD from the troubleshooting.

Get the pads working with the included editor and then you should be able to use albee1952's directions for getting pro tools and SD running. (not withstanding a different issue).

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid