How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-16-2020, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Latency issues with Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidlife View Post
So can anyone help me with my issue? I'm still not sure why I'm getting latency even when I have no plugins instantiated. It does sound good at buffer size of 64, but at 128 I can hear a slight latency issue.
I am lost what you are trying to get done here. Are you trying to software monitor here (i.e. monitor through Pro Tools) why just purchase any UAD plugins you really need and hardware monitor though the UAD console?

What sample rate are you running at... you need to work out what the expected IO buffer latency is. Do you think you hear approximately that latency? Again if unsure measure it (see ** below).

You performer will be much more sensitive to latency if you are also hearing a hardware monitoring path. Are you sure you have all UAD console/hardware monitoring disabled. The initial doubling you reported went away right? when you got rid of monitoring though both the Console and Pro Tools?

You performer may be more sensitive to latency if you are letting them hear a lot of live bleed e.g. through open back headphones. I'm not sure what you are tying to record/how (e.g. vocals? guitar cab? guitar DI, etc.). Edit: the performer is you? Doing "vox"? What do you mean by that? Radio style advert voice over? Movie voice over? (where you might have more/other latency issues)?

If you *really* need to software monitor and have latency sensitive performers, many people will be aiming at a 64 sample or less IO buffer. Why can't you run at a lower IO buffer? (at that low IO buffer you will not be able to instantiate UAD plugins within Pro Tools... fully expected and you should have frozen/committed those tracks). If you need to go this way: what errors are you getting if you try that and what have you done to troubleshoot them? (freeze all the tracks you can, check optimization, do usual troubleshooting).

You have a UAD interface with all it's lovely console monitoring capabilities, I'm not following why you just don't use that if monitoring latency is an issue, just go buy any needed plugins (and does the performer thing those are *really* needed while tracking?). And stuff that IO buffer up to 1024 or so. I expect the time spent on this so far will have paid for any UAD plugins needed. And again take your time to read up on the latency of the UAD plugins you might use, you cannot just assume they are all low latency.

** I'm not exactly sure what you are confused about, I have suggested before trying to simultaneously record the latency you are hearing and the live input so you can measure the actual latency of your system. You can do this in so many ways. If you are confused about Pro tools, forget it. Just grab a handheld digital recorder or mic going into Audacity or Garage band or whatever... just use the build in Mic on your Mac if it has one. And separately just record those signal. Put the mic on the desk next to the monitoring headphones and clap. Measure the time delay of the live clap and the monitoring clap fr the headphones. You can do this in Pro Tools as well recording to another audio track (mute so you don't get feedback), and in that case you likely have to factor out 1024 (or 2048 depending on sample rate) sample latency in the on-screen measurement caused by the large playback buffer that Pro Tools uses. ... that's not real latency you are hearing.

The key to solving these problems is to first stop suspecting there is anything wrong, there never is. Everything will be working as designed. Keep focused on trying to understand what is happening. And especially if you don't have a really solid foundation in the UAD console and separately in how Pro Tools Software monitoring works, then to just spend time playing around with the most simple use cases (e.g. a session with one mono audio track recording one microphone recording you clapping, maybe clapping to a click track) and confirm that you can get what monitoring latency you expect (measuring that latency if that will help you).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-16-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidlife View Post
Thank you for your reply!

What exactly is the “latency issue” you are having?

When I am hearing myself through my headphones I hear slight delay, like a flang, or a doubling to be more exact. That is on the lowest buffer setting. On the highest buffer settings it is very obvious, and more delay like.

I input monitor my record track,listen and test. when I speak I get the issues through my headphones. Recording there is no delay inputed onto the track, but when I speak that's when the issue occurs. I have tried with open back, and closed back headphones. I get the same results.

When I say doubled it sounds like there are 2 signals being sent. When I up the buffer settings it sounds more delayed maybe a second or so delay.

Now I should mention I was having CPU issues with a clients project where I couldn't even press play without running pt stopping to warn me about low cpu. I had to cancel the session. Nothing major either. My laptop handles theses session superbly but not my Mac mini.

But maybe most importantly telling us you have muted signals in console *and* selected cue mix is a little worrying. Telling us you have selected cue mix makes it seem like you might want to monitor through the console

To my understanding in order for me not to monitor through console I have to mute the track in console, and then I will only monitor through pro tools which is what I want. I set the cue outputs to mix so I can hear what I'm doing. These are in the set up guides in UAD website for if I set it to hp I will not be able to hear anything unless I route a headphone mix to console.

I opened console stand alone, and I get no latency. Sounds great.

I opened up pro tools, and I get the same result. Monitoring through pro tools I get the latency issue as before.

Thank you again for your reply.
It sounds like you are using UAD natively through Pro Tools, rather than Console.

First thing you need to do is make sure "input delay compensation" in console itself, is OFF. This will lower the latency of the driver through Pro Tools.

Look, in reality, UAD is just not designed to work this way.. Even with that setting off, which dramatically decreases input latency, it will probably still be too high latency to monitor with natively through PT. You bought the wrong interface to do that with.

Try what I said, and 32 buffer in PT. It might be OK.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

The key to solving these problems is to first stop suspecting there is anything wrong, there never is. Everything will be working as designed. Keep focused on trying to understand what is happening. And especially if you don't have a really solid foundation in the UAD console and separately in how Pro Tools Software monitoring works, then to just spend time playing around with the most simple use cases (e.g. a session with one mono audio track recording one microphone recording you clapping, maybe clapping to a click track) and confirm that you can get what monitoring latency you expect (measuring that latency if that will help you).
Love this! Thanks so much for your reply and patience with helping me.
I'm at work so just breezing over your reply. I'll digest this all when I get back home to my studio and get back to you.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
It sounds like you are using UAD natively through Pro Tools, rather than Console.

First thing you need to do is make sure "input delay compensation" in console itself, is OFF. This will lower the latency of the driver through Pro Tools.

Look, in reality, UAD is just not designed to work this way.. Even with that setting off, which dramatically decreases input latency, it will probably still be too high latency to monitor with natively through PT. You bought the wrong interface to do that with.

Try what I said, and 32 buffer in PT. It might be OK.
The thing is I'm not getting any latency on my laptop. It sounds good. But I will check the settings in console on my Mac mini. What I'm doing to monitor through pt only is muting console channels and to my research that's the only way.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:24 AM

I was dealing with this with my Mac Mini and PT 12 the other day. I have MOTU hardware but it uses Cue Mix for low-latency monitoring. I found if I enabled low-latency monitoring in Pro Tools and kept my record track in auto-input (Input monitoring disabled,) I could hear the input signal through Cue Mix without any latency and no echo from Pro Tools. This also allowed me to hear the track on playback for punch ins. I put any talent-only FX (such as reverb) in the Cue Mix application and have no plug-ins on the PT record track. Enabling quick punch allowed for instant punch-ins/outs. I suspect the UA console may work the same way.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
You’re completely right. I forgot Pro Tools remembers two states of the channel fader: One level when in record mode and another one while playing back.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Best

Mark
Hi, Can You tell me about this two channel fader states? I also want to mute during record, and have an option to play the material recorded earlier.

Karol
Old 01-09-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardobrow View Post
Hi, Can You tell me about this two channel fader states? I also want to mute during record, and have an option to play the material recorded earlier.

Karol
See “Link record and play faders” in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.