Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 PM

Default Snow Leopard pre release - April Fool

Quote:
Ok, so can someone tell me what this pre release actually fixes? The two problems I've noted with 8.0.1 are jerky playhead cursor and yellow interfaces for air instruments. And this doesn't fix either of these?

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=39871

Same here. I don't understand what this release does?

It seems like an april fools joke, but we're in September.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Snow Leopard pre release - April Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
Same here. I don't understand what this release does?

It seems like an april fools joke, but we're in September.
It doesn't FIX anything. It's just a early sneak peak at the Snow Leopard compatible version of PT. Since it prerelease I would treat this as beta software. Clone your exsisting drive and use at your own risk.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 PM

I hate to sound like a douche, but this is exactly why everybody should wait until Digi has finished their testing and updated PT with all the fixes that are needed. I have a feeling this is only released because of those who, on this very forum, keep shouting about how sloooooow Digi is to update their software - 20 minutes after a new OSX version is released.
I would much much MUCH rather they take another month - or even two - if the end result is a rock solid update. Who needs this? Jerky playhead and yellow AIR instruments. This will only make those who yelled about hurrying it up to scream about how lame this update is... great.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:14 AM

Hey guys,

Will this PT 8 version bring my old Mbox2 out of its slumber? When I plug it into my SL operated MBP the lights don't even go on. Does PT8 have the drivers to resuscitate her?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra View Post
I hate to sound like a douche, but this is exactly why everybody should wait until Digi has finished their testing and updated PT with all the fixes that are needed. I have a feeling this is only released because of those who, on this very forum, keep shouting about how sloooooow Digi is to update their software - 20 minutes after a new OSX version is released.
I would much much MUCH rather they take another month - or even two - if the end result is a rock solid update. Who needs this? Jerky playhead and yellow AIR instruments. This will only make those who yelled about hurrying it up to scream about how lame this update is... great.
The people who deserve a little extra consideration are the ones who have purchased a new Mac with only SL installed, sometimes because they had to get a new computer or honestly were unaware of the incompatibility (new users).

Anyone else who choose to go to SL before PT was approved deserves no sympathy or extra consideration...

I find it unusual that Digi offered a prerelease.. The reaction to the long wait for Leopard compatibility probably has them a little concerned, but then this is the reaction "it still doesn't work blah blah cry". They should have just gotten the final release ready I guess...
Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM

In the other thread that this was started from (I don't know why you made a new thread and started it with my quote...) I was not looking for sympathy. I fully agree that digi should just knuckle down and make a solid release asap. When they do updates like this that don't seem to address any issues, or at least any important ones it's just plain silly. I will remain on 8.0.1 and regular Leopard until a REAL snow leopard update comes around.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 AM

I'm messing with it on one of my secondary systems.

My HD rig and 002 rig are staying on 10.5.7 with 8.0cs3, probably even beyond when SL is qualified.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 AM

I agree that this was probably put out there to show the naysayers that Digi was actually working on something and had something working. I would not use this on my main system. I did install it on my MBP but haven't messed with it yet.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptoothyouth View Post
Hey guys,

Will this PT 8 version bring my old Mbox2 out of its slumber? When I plug it into my SL operated MBP the lights don't even go on. Does PT8 have the drivers to resuscitate her?

Thanks!
If your MBox2 is an MBox2Pro, then it sounds like you have had a bad firmware update.

We've actually done a few things to help prevent this as a part of the Pro Tools 8.0.3.

What we have done will probably not fix your MBox2Pro. DTS can help you revive your device if you give them a call.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 PM

* Important: Pro Tools 8.0.3pr software is prerelease software, and is not fully tested or supported by Avid. Technical Support is not available for prerelease software. We recommend backing up your system and work files before using this software, or installing a fresh copy of Mac OS X 10.6 on a different system partition. In preliminary testing, we’ve found most plug-ins to be compatible with Pro Tools 8.0.3pr and Snow Leopard.

Does anybody ever read disclaimers? Or anything, for that matter? C'mon people, it says right on the download page that it might not work.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515