Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-23-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Tascam DM24 and PT LE

What's up.

I searched and didn't come up with much so I'll just ask,
if anyone uses or has used the Tascam DM24 with LE.

My Allen&Heath GL2 is dying on me, so I figured replace
it with a console with automation to control the basic functions of le.

If advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Tascam DM24 and PT LE

Looks like Spyda KB uses one. Check out his post in my "Yamaha 03d" thread from earlier today. Maybe he can help you.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 PM

What do you need to know? I had a DM-24 and now I use the DM-3200. They are awesome. At the push of a button you can switch between “mixer” and “controller”. I wouldn’t mess with the DM-24 though, (problems with heat, solder joints and support)
Old 08-25-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.

My current mixer is dying on me and since I don't have a control surface for LE I figured
kill to birds with one stone when I saw the DM-24 for $799.

I was really wondering if anyone had anything positive to say about how it works in hui mode
and anything negative about if as far as sound quality or anything else.

rqstudio thanks for your thoughts. If you have anything else to share about your DM-3200 that
would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 AM

You know, 10 years you'd pay $799 for a TC Electronic's rack mounted verb unit. This has TC verbs and delays, compression and gates, sounds wonderful, I couldn't live without my DM-32, but thats just my opinion. Sometimes I mix in mixer mode, sometimes I mix in controller mode, sometimes I mix in 5.1. (not sure if the DM-24 is capable of that...) it just does everything I need it to do. If the unit (and studio) look clean, all the faders are working and can be tested go for it!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Greetings,

I use the DM-24 with the 002R. Works great for me as a production console. I use the ADAT I/O to connect to the 002R to form 4 stereo stems. I use external pres but the built in pres of the DM-24 are very much usable. I also use the DM-24 in HUI mode to remote control and submix in PT (all done within the external layer of the DM-24 - works perfectly). This setup gives me a nice blend of "in the box mixing" and the ability to sweeten up with the DM-24 and other external effects.

As for clocking...I'm temporarily using the 002Rs SPDIF in to clock from the DM-24, until I get a better master clock. I haven't had any of the issues that have plagued the DM-24 line with the exception of an occasional meter display lock up (possibly when it runs too hot - it's in a desk that could use better ventalation). As a whole it sounds good and simple to use - once you get over the learning curve which is steep if you are not familiar with these type of digital mixers.

Good luck..!!

- KB
Old 08-28-2007, 02:08 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm still undecided as to what direction I should go,
but I'm hoping to figure it out really soon.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm still undecided as to what direction I should go,
but I'm hoping to figure it out really soon.
Honestly...If it was me....I would save up for the newer board. As much as I love my DM-24, the DM-3200 is a significant and worthwile upgrade worth saving for (unlike a recently highly anticipated release). For me, it makes very little sense now in buying a board that Tascam is no longer supporting...unless it is for rehearsal use , etc.. I received my board a year or so before they were discountinued (and the DM-24 was around for about 6 or 7 years before the DM-32000 were released), but it was clearly one of the best options available at that time. I would suggest apply the cost you would spend on the used DM-24 and get a model that is newer and will be supported within the next 3-4 years.

- KB
Old 09-02-2007, 06:04 PM

Here's a good deal on a DM-3200
cut and paste
http://tascamforums.com/index.php?s=...howtopic=17445
Old 10-16-2008, 01:57 AM

I bought mine in the box that was never open. It was 3 years old. In my setup its configured as an input/ protools monitor mixer. Latency is GONE!!! :) You have all of the dynamics and usable effects at the input at your disposal. I'm clocking it with the Genex192 master clock and all the FX sound twice as good. Clock it (DM24) with WordClock and slave 002, 003 to it. You will never go back :) It is great, seriously, I did many side to side tests with other systems, Apogee clock and converters included and to my personal taste it sounds... more analog ( sorry :) ), not harsh and smoother, if I can use this type of terminology. Yes it gets hot, I'm sure DM 3200 is more up to the times we live in, but at the time I couldn't afford it. I hope mine DM 24 will never brake down :) Have a lot of experience with it , have questions? Please ask. I mix down in ProTools with Mackie HUI , without really using HUI emulation mode of the DM 24 but... It can be done.
All the best to everyone.