Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Default buying ProTools LE and Digi003 or M-Box in Japan?

Hello, I am moving to Japan and I am debating whether to get new ProTools gear here in the US or to wait till I get to Japan. I am concerned about the possibility of incompatible gear, and software/manuals that I cannot read. (My Japanese is pretty limited.) Does anyone have any experience with this topic that can share their experience? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Default Re: buying ProTools LE and Digi003 or M-Box in Japan?

iirc japan uses the same mains voltage as the US - so that won't be a problem (and most devices are switchable these days)

sotware wise there should be no difference, just install the english version rather than the japanese - and the printed manual that comes with an LE system is just the getting started guide, PDFs of all guides/manuals in all supported languages are on install disc
Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 PM

If you are moving to Tokyo and above, only buy stuff that is 50/60 hz compatible. Make sure you check that out first!!!! I'm not talking about only digidesign. All electronics will not operate properly if the hz is not correct. I'm sure the 003 is 50/60 so it should be okay, but you do need to double check to be safe. Japan is not the same as the USA. USA is 120v 60hz, Japan is 100v 50hz. Keep that in mind. Nagoya and below used to be 60hz for some strange reason. I don't know if that's still the case. Another important factor is the cost. If it's an M-box or something small you're talking about, then of course it's cheaper to bring it with you in your luggage. When you start getting into heavy/bulky gear, then you have to consider the cost of shipping vs. the cost of the mark up here. Yes, it is more expensive to get non japanese products here, but if you factor in the shipping cost, the customer service(if you can fight in japanese, with the exception of Digidesign which has an excellent english cs), and the possibility that your gear may not be in one piece when it gets here(my macpro had a crooked motherboard).... I hope you get my drift. Yes!!!!!! Japan is more expensive than the U.S., but in most cases you can make better money(as a semi-pro)......... It just about evens out.
Let me know when you get here, I can point you to some good(inexpensive) shops in Tokyo, and great online merchants(unfortunately in japanese only), for your other audio needs.....
Old 05-30-2008, 04:43 AM

For power, you can also buy a step down (or is that step up?) transformer over here for less than $20 if you prefer to bring powered gear from the states. Some stuff runs okay anyway, depends on what it is of course...

Hey, Ike, fancy seeing you here! How's life? Still at NB? I'm off to take a peek at your site

Julianne
Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 PM

Vog...i don't have too much to add from what everyone has said except to agree with them.
Japan is a very cool place for music. Many great music shops/places to play.
I hope you enjoy it. It will be a little or alot more expensive with gear depending on what you buy over there. One of the cool things they have that i don't believe is available in US are battery-powered or rechargeable amps that you can hook up to your macbook, guitar setup and vocalmics. You basically can do a performance anywhere... street, club, etc. Deciding on mbox or 003 in japan would be the same reasoning to buy in america. Do you need alot of inputs? If so, 003, if not mbox. I hope to have a portable rig next time i go there.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:08 AM

Hey Julianne, it's good to catch up with you too. I'm still there, but only for the staff's sake. Drop in some time. I'm usually there on fridays.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 AM

Grace, Sunrise, and DJ Ike,

Thank you so much for your kind and thorough answers!! I really appreciate it. BTW, I will be in Shimane Prefecture, making music in the inaka.... !