Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2021, 04:53 AM

Default AVID Dock and MOTU ultralite mk5

Today I have very strange situation, my Dock station wont connect to Pro Tools. After long research I realized that Dock station all the time connect to IP adress of my MOTU Ultralite mk5, if it's "ON", not on his reserved IP on my network.
So, the only way to work all together is to switch off MOTU, restart EuControl, connect Avid Dock, and iPad, and just after that to start MOTU and Pro tools.
So my question is, is it possible somehow to avoid direct connection be twin MOTU and Avid Dock?

P.S. Sorry for my English, it is no my origin language.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:29 AM

Default Re: AVID Dock and MOTU ultralite mk5

As far as I know, the Ultralite mk5 does not require any IP address so there shouldn’t be any conflict there with Avid Dock or EuControl.

Can you provide more system details for further assistance?
Old 09-08-2021, 09:35 AM

Actually IP address of connected Avid Dock with powered MOTU is not the same, but very similar. MOTU IP is 169.253.67.231 and Dock is connected to 169.254.190.82, but not as should be to 192.168.1.140, witch is reserved in router on my local network.
I use switch after router, because I have a lot of devices and maybe this is the reason why Dock try to connect on different IP address, when MOTU is ON.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4o4o View Post
Actually IP address of connected Avid Dock with powered MOTU is not the same, but very similar. MOTU IP is 169.253.67.231 and Dock is connected to 169.254.190.82, but not as should be to 192.168.1.140, witch is reserved in router on my local network.
I use switch after router, because I have a lot of devices and maybe this is the reason why Dock try to connect on different IP address, when MOTU is ON.
169.xxx is self assigned (auto private) IP ?! meaning it's not getting IP from DHCP server (router). besides, UltrakLite mk5 is not an network device, where did you get the IP from? The computer that the UltraLite is connected to? But that 169.xxx IP is just not right. Dock is a network device so it should have it's own IP, but the computer that connect to UltraLite also need to be in the same network as the Dock for them to talk to each other.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo View Post
...UltrakLite mk5 is not an network device, where did you get the IP from? The computer that the UltraLite is connected to?
Ultralite mk5 use his IP address to communicate with PC for changing settings, and I can't change it, bub can see it on MOTU's display.
Strange thing is Avid Dock all the time change his IP when MOTU is ON, but if its OFF everything is OK.
So to get everything work proper must connect first Avid Dock with PC when MOTU is OFF, and after that to switch ON MOTU.
So question is, is it possible somehow to lock Dock's IP address?

P.S.
Dock IP can be see on EuControl / Surfaces panel.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4o4o View Post
Ultralite mk5 use his IP address to communicate with PC for changing settings, and I can't change it, bub can see it on MOTU's display.
Strange thing is Avid Dock all the time change his IP when MOTU is ON, but if its OFF everything is OK.
So to get everything work proper must connect first Avid Dock with PC when MOTU is OFF, and after that to switch ON MOTU.
So question is, is it possible somehow to lock Dock's IP address?

P.S.
Dock IP can be see on EuControl / Surfaces panel.

fixed IP can be set on the device, if the device has the menu option to do so. Or it can be set from the router. Some consumer router doesn't provide this option or has easy access to it, but most routers does has this option. Some are easier to do this than others, but basically you look up the MAC address of the Dock and then manually assign IP to it. Again, 169.xxx IP range is not "normal" and should be investigated.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:12 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo View Post
fixed IP can be set on the device, if the device has the menu option to do so. Or it can be set from the router. Some consumer router doesn't provide this option or has easy access to it, but most routers does has this option. Some are easier to do this than others, but basically you look up the MAC address of the Dock and then manually assign IP to it. Again, 169.xxx IP range is not "normal" and should be investigated.
169.x.x.x is normal and is a self assigned IP address(because there is not DHCP Server reachable). EuControl surfaces can handle these addresses because it uses Bonjour to find them.