Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 AM

Default Cedar dns one hasp key issue

Anyone running the CEDAR DNS ONE software with their HASP key on early 2010 i7 Quadcore macbook pros(these units have Thunderbolt) and getting HASP Key time out errors?
Is anyone running the same software on earlier or later MBP's having the same issue or never experiences the errors?

Whenever I get the error (which is totally random by the way) I have to quit protools, detach the HASP Key and re-start protools. This happens at least once a day, CEDAR says the key needs to be plugged in to a USB port on the computer but the reality is it Makes No Difference whether your plugged into the computer or a hub.

CEDAR provided me with a temp second HASP key too see if the issue would still occur, which it did by the way.

The reason Im asking is I keep getting the run around from the folks at CEDAR, they've stated that my model MBP supposedly has USB power issues yet when I've spoke with APPLE and have had the computer tested repeatedly everything up to spec!

I asked CEDAR to provide me with proof of this supposed USB power issue numerous times, I have never heard back from them.

Apple insists there is no conspiracy to cover up a manufacturers defect, this comes from a head tech support executive. This leads me to question CEDAR's motives and why they wont give an answer to the question.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 08-14-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
Anyone running the CEDAR DNS ONE software with their HASP key on early 2010 i7 Quadcore macbook pros(these units have Thunderbolt) and getting HASP Key time out errors?
HASP key. That's a new one on me. I know iLok and eLicensor and I guess there is now a third? Bummer. I hope you get it working. It's always us honest folks who have the issues. I imagine some kid had cracked this & lots run it without any CP issues.

I've been pretty luck with CP. Omnisphere asked me to re-authorize last night but that went smoothly.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Cedar dns one hasp key issue

HASP key has been around almost as long as iLok as far as I remember.
coryrizos.com
Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 PM

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the cedar.

I could not work without it.

I never have issues like the on my Mac pro.

So there might be some truth in the power thing.

Apple laptop are not exactly know for having the best power supply on their USB ports.

Basstian
Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
Sorry to hear you are having issues with the cedar.

I could not work without it.

I never have issues like the on my Mac pro.

So there might be some truth in the power thing.

Apple laptop are not exactly know for having the best power supply on their USB ports.

Basstian
That and not every USB port on MacBooks functions like every other one. There's been talk on the net about people having problems with stuff plugged in to certain USB ports that's solved by plugging the suspect device into another USB port.

Also if the OP is running on battery power that could be a problem for the USB ports; he might want to try using the external power supply all the time.

QAPLA!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:22 AM

Smile Re: Cedar dns one hasp key issue

I read some stuff on the net regarding power consumption issues with the USB ports and MBP's too, but all of the posts were referring to earlier units than mine. I also I run my MBP with power supply always attached.

At least I can run the software, thank God! I couldn't live without it.
It's just a pain in the butt when I get that HASP key error message. What happens is the CEDARS stop functioning and It's not as simple as simply unplugging the key and re-attaching it with the session open. You have to quit the session, detach/reattach dongle then launch Protools, any other way causes bursts of noise

Oh well, poor me, I have no choice but to live with the issue until I make a change to Mac Pro.
coryrizos.com
Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM

We are having issues with the HASP keys on our Mac Pros, the issues started after the upgrade to DNS Studio which included a firmware upgrade to the HASP keys. We will get a message about losing connection/timing out and then the audio going through the plugin gets horribly noisy (not good in a de-noising plug!)

Restart the Pro Tools software and we're good for a couple of hours, sometimes more.

We have made Cedar aware, they sent a beta version of DNS Studio but so far that hasn't fixed the issue.

One of the Mac Pros is running TDM Pro Tools 10 HD, the other is HDX Pro Tools 10.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:19 PM

Do you guys run the version 4.3 that is available for something like two weeks now?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:25 AM

Interesting, this is exactly when I started having issues as well!
I upgraded to the latest firmware, started running the CEDAR Studio software and that's exactly when all these disconnect errors began popping up.

Not that I'm happy to hear that this is occurring to someone else but at least it confirms that the issue is not unique to the MacBook pro users.

By the way, I recently upgraded to the latest version 4.3 and nothing has changed.

There was supposedly a fix for some distortion issues, I found, at least in my case, I was having more distortion related issues than on previous versions and downgraded.

Has anyone noticed that when you use the LM setting on the DNS ONE it seems to cause your Audo to get crackly and distorted. This happens to me pretty much all the time.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the type of Audo material that's passing thru that causes this or is it just bad programming?
coryrizos.com
Old 08-17-2012, 06:35 AM

I had the distortion issues here as well, but they were fixed in the 4.3 update for me.

Did you delete everything before installing the new version?

Basstian