Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 FAIL.

Hey everyone! I'm having a very big issue. A very VERY BIG issue that's going to be the end of me and the end of me using pro tools.

I had bought pro tools 9 about 5 months ago, i installed it and it worked fine. It would crash about 40% of the times and weird things would happen here and there, like opening up a session only to find that there are missing tracks, but a few days ago it just took a BAD turn.

I got the email to upgrade to pro tools 10, so i downloaded it and installed it, along with the update for my ilok, and guess what! after clicking on the pro tools 10 icon IT KEPT CRASHING before even opening!

It would load half of the plug ins and around distortoin.dmg it would crash. So I ended up uninstalling pro tools 10, and reinstalled everything, i had to install the older version in order to install the upgrade. But guess what! pro tools 9 KEEPS crashing now! So i figured, maybe i didn't do a proper uninstall, so i ended up uninstalling and removing all the files then installing them all over again over the past 2 days for a total of 6 times,
Well.... now as soon as I click on the icon, it just crashes! Now I can't even use my pro tools 9, let alone this bloody curse of a upgrade called pro tools 10.

Right now, im currently downloading pro tools 9.05 as an update, hopefully it will get pro tools 9 to work so i can upgrade to pro tools 10...

But any help would be very very appreciated!

Thanks!
Nick
Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 FAIL.

Sorry to hear it Nick. Sounds like something is pretty hosed on your system, because PT10 has actually been quite stable for most of us.

A couple things to consider:

Remove all non-Avid plugins

Create a fresh User Account just for PT

Re-Install your OS

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the reply, I think i'm going to format my laptop and put a fresh new one on a dedicated user account. Do you think I should delete my Native Instruments Komplete 7 plug ins that are located on my external harddrive too and re install them?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Hey nick for further help, would you be kind enough to use the format that is written in the help us help you link on top of the forum, this way we can see what hardware you have and might be able to point you exactly where your problem lies.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-26-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey everyone! I'm having a very big issue. A very VERY BIG issue that's going to be the end of me and the end of me using pro tools.

I had bought pro tools 9 about 5 months ago, i installed it and it worked fine. It would crash about 40% of the times and weird things would happen here and there, like opening up a session only to find that there are missing tracks, but a few days ago it just took a BAD turn.

I got the email to upgrade to pro tools 10, so i downloaded it and installed it, along with the update for my ilok, and guess what! after clicking on the pro tools 10 icon IT KEPT CRASHING before even opening!

It would load half of the plug ins and around distortoin.dmg it would crash. So I ended up uninstalling pro tools 10, and reinstalled everything, i had to install the older version in order to install the upgrade. But guess what! pro tools 9 KEEPS crashing now! So i figured, maybe i didn't do a proper uninstall, so i ended up uninstalling and removing all the files then installing them all over again over the past 2 days for a total of 6 times,
Well.... now as soon as I click on the icon, it just crashes! Now I can't even use my pro tools 9, let alone this bloody curse of a upgrade called pro tools 10.

Right now, im currently downloading pro tools 9.05 as an update, hopefully it will get pro tools 9 to work so i can upgrade to pro tools 10...

But any help would be very very appreciated!

Thanks!
Nick
The way I understand it you don't need PT9 on your system to upgrade to PT10. As a matter of fact I've seen several things that say to uninstall using the Avid uninstaller PT9, do the repair permissions things and then install PT10, again doing repair permissions (assuming we're talking Mac here). And don't for get to reboot each time you do a step.

QAPLA!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The way I understand it you don't need PT9 on your system to upgrade to PT10. As a matter of fact I've seen several things that say to uninstall using the Avid uninstaller PT9, do the repair permissions things and then install PT10, again doing repair permissions (assuming we're talking Mac here). And don't for get to reboot each time you do a step.
Right.

I've always found it best to uninstall any previous version of Pro Tools first, after I had some issues with PT8 when I installed it over top of 7.4. More often, I will even do a full system reformat.

Since then, I've never had any issues after a fresh install.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies! They've been plenty helpful!

I'm currently reformatting and installing/updating everything and am starting from scratch. I will post again if everything works, but could anyone tell me, if i haven't installed my pro tools version yet, can i just download the upgrade and install it? I believe someone said that in a previous reply, but it's just an upgrade, not the actual program.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! They've been plenty helpful!

I'm currently reformatting and installing/updating everything and am starting from scratch. I will post again if everything works, but could anyone tell me, if i haven't installed my pro tools version yet, can i just download the upgrade and install it? I believe someone said that in a previous reply, but it's just an upgrade, not the actual program.
An "upgrade" is the actual program. I don't recall Avid ever releasing what they call an upgrade that wasn't the full version. (Though, they did have an update box for PT9).

Either way, if you bought PT10, it's the full version.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515