Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Exclamation Losing stage link to 2nd stage rack

Anyone with 2 stage racks ever have troubles with losing the stage link to one rack or the other?
Here's my best description:
I have everything on APC S15 pro power conditioner/battery backup, and the racks are also plugged into a relay - sequenced to power up from FOH, with the same pro conditioner/backup model.
It only happens at boot up. And it only happens randomly. I don't think it has ever happened consecutively. No specific regularity, but if I had to categorize it - its a recurrence of roughly once a month, or sooner, or about once every 20-25 boots.
The stage link LED on the console blinks yellow instead of staying on constant green. The 1st stage rack is connected fine, passes audio, and shows up in the "devices" GUI - also at the stage shows a fast flashing green link indicator on the rack at the stage Meanwhile, the 2nd stage rack does not show up in the "devices" GUI and the "link" LED on the 2nd rack at the stage flashes slower than the 1st rack, and does not pass audio.
At first I would try to reboot the whole system, but found that it doesn't help it to link back up. However, the quickest fix I've found is to reboot the 2nd stage rack (both power supplies). When that rack reboots, it automatically relinks to FOH everytime (I think - I haven't been there for each and every occurrence of this problem, so thats not a controlled report at all).

Any ideas?

Its been doing this - pretty much since we first got it (last April), so we've had it almost 1 year. We did get struck by lighting, and we discovered one week that we had a bad snake card (presumably from the lighting strike indirectly traveling up the RG-6?). That bad snake card issue caused the 2nd stage rack (or the 1st when switching cables) to erratically connect and disconnect, intermittently passing audio.

This thing tends to bite me when a volunteer shows up to use it and I'm not here - prompting a phone call on my day off .

When it happens when I'm here, its not that big a deal. I know exactly where to go, and it only takes a second to reboot the 2nd rack. The second rack is where a lot of the wireless equipment is routed, the 1st rack has stage lines patched 1 to 1 for simplicity. So, when someone comes to do a 'simple' event with just 2 or 3 wireless mics... its not so simple when that 2nd rack doesn't link up.

Help...