Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2015, 06:54 AM

Default Komplete ultimate

Hi,

I have a question but I think I already know the answer. I will be buying a Macbook pro in about a week. On previous advice I was told to buy quad core with minimum of 8gb ram.

I was just looking at Komplete ultimate. The minimum disk space needed is 12gb. However it says the total uncompressed size is 440gb.

My question is what minimum size of hard disk should I be looking for with the Macbook.

When I said I think I already know the answer. What I mean is I take it because I will not be using all of the instruments at once. The rest of the files are compressed.

Last but not least do I store the rest on an external hard drive?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Komplete ultimate

Two things:

1. You will want to order this Macbook Pro with 16gb of ram, not 8. 8gb will not be enough for hardly anything audio related in this day and age. And since this can not be added later, you need to order it with the ram already in.

NOTE: If you are getting a quad core, that means you are getting the 15" version. They come with 16gb of ram standard.

2. The Komplete applications/programs go on your Macbook no matter what, and they take up 12gb of space.

The actual samples take up 308gb of space, even compressed. When you install, you will have the choice to either install these on your laptop system drive, or an external drive that you might want to use. That external drive can be a regular 7200rpm spinning drive, or an SSD (more expensive, but improved performance).

As you can see, loading those samples on the system drive may take up a lot of space. Again, if you are getting the 15", the lower model comes with only 256gb, not enough for the samples, let alone other programs. You will need at least the 512gb.

So you should get the top line one for $2499, and it will have the right amount. You may want to upgrade the hard drive to 1TB if you want to put samples on there.

Otherwise, you could go with an external drive. This should be either USB3 or Thunderbolt enclosure. If cost is an issue, a traditional 7200rpm drive will give you much more storage for the money vs. an SSD. If you plan to get more sample libraries, you want to buy enough space for future expansion.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:29 AM

Thanks nst7. Your help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-29-2015, 05:12 PM

Default Komplete ultimate

Something else to keep in mind buying komplete U10 and running pro tools. Though It didn't stop me from buying it to use on my MBP. It is a shame I can't use it to its full potential (yet) but KU10 does have some nice things in it.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...tibility-news/

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...0.10-yosemite/

mike g. . .

Last edited by miknoypinoy; 08-30-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknoypinoy View Post
Something else to keep in mind buying komplete U10 and running pro tools. Though It didn't stop me buying it to use on my MBP. It is a shame I can't use it to its full potential (yet) but KU10 does have some nice things in it.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...tibility-news/

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...0.10-yosemite/
The odd thing with this is you don't even need any of the mentioned hardware connected. Just having Guitar Rig 5 in a PT session for instance will trigger the problem - you don't need the GR5 controller.

QAPLA!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 AM

I didn't read this thread this morning. Read it late afternoon. Guess what Macbook I bought this morning. Yosemite 10.10. What are the odds?. I have read the link from native instruments. What problems can I expect and Should I cancel the order?.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc360 View Post
I didn't read this thread this morning. Read it late afternoon. Guess what Macbook I bought this morning. Yosemite 10.10. What are the odds?. I have read the link from native instruments. What problems can I expect and Should I cancel the order?.
I outlined at least one of the problems - you won't be able to use Guitar Rig 5 in PT sessions. How important that is to you only you can answer but I wouldn't hold out any hope of this getting fixed any time soon, especially if it turns out NI is the cause here.

QAPLA!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 PM

I weighed it out before buying. I have the kontrol s49 and maschine mkii and knew komplete kontrol wouldn't work in protools. Stand alone it's great for composing and messing around. If you don't have any native instrument hardware, you don't have to worry about this. But as musician said, even just opening the hardware dependent plugins causes problems. (I still havnt tried GR5 lol. I have amplitube anyway so I'm fine until they resolve this. . . If they ever do)

Kontakt works in pro tools as do the effects plugins. That alone was worth it to me to have all the VIs that come with K10u.

mike g. . .
Old 09-02-2015, 12:35 PM

Does anyone have a Pro Tools rig that uses VEP5 to host NI instruments, with the Komplete Kontrol hooked up and working? Seems like that would be a good solution, as long as the keyboard plays nice with multiple DAWs open.

I also heard that (with all other things being equal) VEP5 allows far more instances of VI plug-ins with lower processor load than would be possible with AAX in Pro Tools.