Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 08:10 AM

Default Time Adjuster & Software sampler questions

I'm new to Pro Tools, so please be gentle with me if these are really dumb questions! ( The only stupid question is the one you don't ask, right? )

1. I noticed when trying the bombfactory compressors that the delay using these is reported as 3 samples, but the Time Adjuster has a minimum delay of 4 samples. I was trying out the technique descibed in the October Digizine of running a vocal on two tracks, one compressed, one clean. I don't suppose this is terribly important because even without the Time adjuster on the clean channel my woolly ears can't detect any comb filtering. So how do I sort this, put time adjuster on both tracks with 4 samples delay on the compressed track and 7 samples on the clean track?

2. Suppose I was using compression as an insert on a vocal track, but say I had the guitar track clean, should I be time adjusting the guitar track before sending it to the master?

3. Does anyone use software samplers with the Windows version of Protools? I've looked at the Unity DS-1 and the Unity Player, how do these hook into Protools, is there a PC equivalent of DirectConnect? What other samplers can I use? Does anyone have any thoughts about their relative merits. I don't use loops extensively, I primarily record acoustic music, but there is an occasional need to add some drums or percussion to a track, I've been just importing samples into Protools and duplicating the regions, this works fine but is kind of painful to do, and I figure a software sample may make this easier?

Thanks folks

Lennie
Old 10-04-2002, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Time Adjuster & Software sampler questions

Hi Lennie,

Our HD3 system is only a month old here @ Phantom and these questions that you are asking are in no way dumb at all. Unfortunatly we are asking these same questions ourselves, so maybe there can be some comfort while we wait together for our wiser peers to reply. At least you are brave and have asked the questions!!

We are just now experimenting with MIDI and are looking at the "Soft SampleCell" for the HD3. If you check this website's software page I believe there are one or two others. Check around, we are the new breed (PC-WinXP) of ProTools animal and new enhancements are happening all the time.

"Do it for the feeling"
Doc [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Phantom Sounds Studio

Let Music Be the Word
Old 10-04-2002, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Time Adjuster & Software sampler questions

I may have misread but I think Soft SampleCell is only available for MacOS [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]