Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-31-2002, 09:39 PM

Default Finally, a few songs for you!!

I'm up loading four songs tonight, the first, "forgiven" is already up.

Jon Jurist

Feel free to comment!

Old Timer
Old 11-01-2002, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Finally, a few songs for you!!

Dean,

Very entertaining.....liked the energy and general looseness of the groove.....definately hear the Zappa influence in the guitar and in the overall attitude.

Just listened lo-fi, so can't comment on the sound...other than it seems to have a nice raw edge......mix overall sounds kind of plain, though.....not a lot of things moving around.....didn't hear much of a stereo image.....mostly everything is everywhere and not moving much.

Speaking of Frank, you might try varying the sound and the effects on the lead vocals from time to time, like he was prone to do at times(you know...like putting your voice thru a megaphone for a verse, or adding a funny slap echo on the bridge).....these kinds of tricks were, of course, used a lot by The Beatles and XTC, as well.......sort of livens things up a bit.

My 2 cents. Sounds great....keep it up! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

BTW, you didn't make it that clear about which tunes were old 8 track and which were 001. I think I recall Forgiven mentioned as 8 track.....what about the others?
Old 11-01-2002, 09:41 PM

Thanks Wayne,

It's good to hear comments that show you actually listened carefully. You have given me a lot to think about.

1) I have always approached recording as kind of a documentary, a way to archive and preserve a performance. But, documentarys are usually dull, I agree. You view a recording as entertainment, in that the mix should be entertaining as well as the performance. Hmmm...

2) Next, the stereo image, or lack thereof. I totally agree that my recordings lack focus. The drum overheads (in this case underneiths) are panned hard left and right, along with the doubled guitars, the effects, and sometimes the background vocals. Results in what I call the "three channel". Everything is either left, right, or middle. Middle has bass, bass drum, and lead vocal. This is probabaly another "next level" concept for me, right after the use (and abuse) of the deesser for lead vox. Deeser is not used at all on the tracks that are up now.

So, on the stuff I'm working on now on the digi001 I just de-panned the overheads some and discovered there's more space in there now, and the drums sound more like a unit(instrument). Don't know what I'll do about the hard right and left doubled guitars, but one step at a time.

BTW, everything you hear is session 8, and at least 3 or 4 years old.

New stuff will be out in about a month. Please, any more comments. You'd think with the way I've flamed everything, one of my victims would speak up!!

Old Timer [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 04:29 AM

Dean,

I used to have a similar approach to band recordings......where you didn't put anything on the recording that you couldn't pull off live. That philosophy was based on having heard tons and tons of bands that couldn't come close to sounding like their records. The problem with this approach is that it severely limits the possibilities of what you can do on your recording.

My approach, now, is to do what is best in each scenario.....their are some things that you can do live that are very hard to capture in the studio, and there are certainly things you can do in the studio, that are difficult to pull off live. But what a listener is going to respond to differs as well in these very different atmospheres.

When a person comes to your live performance, their senses are alive with stimulation from a number of sources.....bright colored lights, atmosphere of the hall, the smell of smoke drifting, hot dogs cooking, fans talking and running around, the musicians jumping around on stage, the drummer being very physical with his kit, banging away, the give and take between the charismatic lead singer and the audience, and so forth.......so in the middle of all that, from a listener's point of view, there's not a lot of attention left to focus on the many subtleties of of the musical presentation....hence you find yourself, as more of a performer pulling off a bit of artistry, instead of an artist pulling off a performance.

On the other hand, in the studio, your audience, in theory, doesn't have all these distractions and things going on, but, rather, is sitting their with all their attention focused on you .....basically saying..."show me what you got", so it's up to you, through the 'magic' of your studio, to give them an artificial atmosphere....a kind of exciting place, where anything that you can imagine can happen....and does!

So, now, I approach the studio environment with that philosophy.....where anything is possible, where you're taking something that is basically two-dimensional in nature and transforming it, thru the magic of electronics, into something multi-dimensional, that is very much alive and moving about! Otherwise, from the listener's point of view, yes...it could get kinda boring.

If you think about it, this is the same thing that happens in live theatre vs. the movies. In live theatre, you have the hall, the bright lights, the magical give and take between the actors the audience, the actual vibe in the air, and all the same stuff I described before.....and the actors over-do everything in order to 'project' this way out to the people on the back row.

But in the movies, it's a lot different, isn't it! Can you imagine, these days, watching a movie that didn't have dynamic special effects, tremendous camera zooms and pans.....and that exhilarating soundtrack, full of eerie violins and stunning sound effects......just actors telling the storyline, pretty much from the script, saying their lines in front of a straight ahead camera shot......why you'd be bored out of your mind, wouldn't you!

Get the picture? So yes....make those mixes come alive, I say! Use all those ProTools you paid for and have fun doing it, by crackie! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 04:01 PM

By the way we're #40 with a bullit at soundclick.com. Always wondered what it would be like to be top 40.

Of course, then I listened to the other tunes!!

Old Timer [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]