Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-17-2017, 07:33 AM

Default Contemplating renewing my PT 12 subscription...but

But Cubase 9.5 just came out and looks like a really well-featured DAW. For those that have tried both (and maybe Logic 10.3.2), why do you stick with PT?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 AM

Hi Chingy! Welcome to the forum.. I have tried just about every DAW out there and I stick with Pro Tools because of the professional feel it gives me. It’s very well organized and despite what others may say I feel it is a very stable program. I use other instruments/drum machines for loop production and from there I lay it out in Pro Tools. There was a time when I would get stuck in “loop mode” and never finish projects. That is no longer the problem.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Contemplating renewing my PT 12 subscription...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingy View Post
But Cubase 9.5 just came out and looks like a really well-featured DAW. For those that have tried both (and maybe Logic 10.3.2), why do you stick with PT?
i use all 3 .. but why PT, because i work with other people that use PT and i need to sahre sessions back and forth to make money .. and i like a lot of the workflow

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 AM

They are all tools in the box and if you need it pick it up for sure. I love Pro Tools. Again I’ve tried nearly all of them. For me Pro Tools is a must for me.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM

Because of the way it works. I have also become comfortable with Logic. I'm a mac guy, so why not for $200? But Pro Tools is the one I'm most comfortable and organic with. It just feels right.

Steve
Old 11-17-2017, 12:07 PM

I only use PT for major mixes and when a project needs a lot of audio edits, otherwise I'm on Cubase Pro. If Steinberg did something about the mix GUI looks I'd use it for all my mixing.

I still haven't got used to doing serious audio editing in Cubase but I'm getting there; it won't be long before I'm using Cubase for all my work (even with that mix interface). In the last year it's seen a lot of stuff added (v9 and 9.5). What have we seen from Avid in that time?

Any one who does any kind of MIDI work really ought to check Cubase out though - it's literally light years ahead of PT. I know I was amazed when I first tried it I hadn't realised what I'd been missing.

Avid, with their subscription/support/ripoff call-it-what-you-will plan just haven't delivered what they promised.

I renewed my $99 vanilla plan last month (I let my HD lapse as soon as the new pricing was announced and for what I'd have gotten for 3 lots of $399 I'm so glad I did) and Avid have 1 more year to convince me to stick with vanilla but so far they're well short of the mark as these days there's simply too many other options to keep faith. 11HD gives me everything I now use PT for so unless Avid pull something out of the hat before this time next year there's simply no reason to give them any more of my cash & it'll go to developers who actually give you a decent return.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 11-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Yeah I’m worried about spending money on PT given their pace of development in the past year. They just released a bunch of basics MIDI improvements - and they are still pretty far behind of Logic and Cubase, and even Ableton and Studio One. The best thing about PT to me is the edit cursor but smart tools elsewhere make that less unique now. I do love the UI though. Cubase 9.5 apparently has a lot more UI customization but agreed I’ve never liked the look compared to PT and Logic.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:00 AM

As I'm getting more and more comfortable in Logic, I'm contemplating not renewing my plan at the end of the month. 12.8.2 update works so well that I went back to 12.8.1... I'm not on this "upgrade plan" to acknowledge and contemplate bugs everytime a "new" version comes out. I love Pro Tools but all they did for the past couple of years was unlocking HD features on Vanilla, which have been there for years. That's not exactly groundbreaking stuff. Oh yeah, the loops... Which reminds me everytime of the lame background presentation on Avid site, you know, the guy with his headphones doing his stuff on his laptop, loading his loops (lol), "like a pro"
Old 11-18-2017, 06:53 AM

Same here, I’m wondering why I should pay $399 usd next month when I’m still using 12.6.1.
I’ve been trying every update since 12.6.1 and every new release comes with a new bug or something broken.

Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 10:43 AM

For me Cubase = music; Pro Tools HD = audio post. Cubase is much better for VIs and midi generally. PT is the only game in town for audio post houses in general.

Both programs have their strengths and weaknesses. Audio editing and stuff like track importing is better with PT. I prefer Steinberg as a company, they don't ruthlessly bleed you dry as Avid love to do. But Steinberg's development - and especially fixing bugs - has been pretty pretty lamentable in the past few years (much like Avid really).

IMO both programs are way off what a DAW should be in 2017.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM