Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-04-2002, 10:58 PM

Default MIDI Grid/ SMPTE issues

Here is something that would be great for composers that work with scoring to film/video--I think...

It would be cool if (as an option) MIDI grid modes and SMPTE could operate Independently from each other. Why?

It would make life so simple if you could say you want a MIDI grid to start at 01:00:34:23. You could then write a cue on this grid (Cue #1). Let's say the cue lasts for 2 minutes. Then there is 30 seconds of no music and another cue. You could then say you want a 2nd MIDI grid to start at 01:03:04:23 (Cue #2). After writing the second cue you realize the first one is too slow. So you speed it up and re-write it to fit. The 2nd MIDI grid stays locked to 01:03:04:23 throughout the whole process. No need to move it back to compensate for the increased tempo earlier in the same session. And then let's say the director calls and wants you to insert a 10 second cue, in between the original cues, 10 seconds after the first cue. All you would have to do is say that you want to start another MIDI grid at 01:02:44:23 (Cue #1.5). It will create a grid that goes up to the MIDI grid #2, but it won't change anything after that point. So you can write your new cue at whatever tempo you want and it won't affect where MIDI grid #2 starts. Of course, if there are any conflicts (like if moving a MIDI grid to a specified SMPTE time would make it overlap another grid)it would warn you and not let you do it.

The director calls and sends over a new cut. All of the cue start times change. Only by a couple frames here or there. Normally, even a minor change like this can be a pain in the a**. But with this new feature, all you have to do is say you want cue#1 to start at xx:xx:xx:xx , Cue #1.5 to start at xx:xx:xx:xx and Cue #2 to start at...you get the idea. The tempo/meter map for each grid would stay intact no matter where you moved it.

And finally, you should be able to anchor regions to either SMPTE or MIDI grid.

Does this make sense? It's kind of hard to explain. I know that you could compose each cue in its own session, and then mix them and line them up in a separate session so you can view the entire film. That's pretty much what I do now. But it can get tedious. I guess what I am asking for would be similar in concept to StudioVision's "Sequences" and "Songs" format. Except it would all be in one edit window.

I'd love to hear from other composers to see if this idea appeals to them and/or how they deal with this issue currently.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:27 AM

Default Re: MIDI Grid/ SMPTE issues

absolutely

J
Old 10-05-2002, 08:15 PM

Default Re: MIDI Grid/ SMPTE issues

Me three, the Digital Performer (I only work in PT if I can help it) analogy would be, Sequences and Chunks, anyway I wonder how to get this bug in digis ear. BTW, excellent job laying it out on your post, this kind of stuff is hard to make tangible.

keep it coming,
MMJ