Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-03-2021, 11:17 AM

Default How Can I Check Loudness Stats for a Selection?

I'm coming from Adobe Audition and I use the "Amplitude Statistics" window all the time to help me match different clips. I just select some audio and hit "Scan Selection," and it gives me the LUFS value for that audio. Then I compare that to an obviously quieter section to see what it's LUFS value is. Then I can manually adjust the gain and scan to get close the the first selection.

I know using my ears is ultimately gonna get me there. But I'd really like a place to start like AA's Amplitude Statistics tool. Is there anything like that in Pro Tools?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2021, 12:44 PM

Default Re: How Can I Check Loudness Stats for a Selection?

If you have the Pro Limiter plugin installed you can use the audiosuite version of that to analyze clips. There's probably a better way but that's what I do in the rare instances when I need that functionality.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:46 PM

Thanks. I was really hoping the industry standard for audio recording would have something like that. Sigh. The good news is that my ears and the meter seem to work pretty well in combination .
Old 09-03-2021, 01:13 PM

Welcome to Pro Tools. The DAW the everyone loves to hate. Unfortunately, it's expensive and a lot of little things aren't included or cost extra compared to other DAWs

FYI If you have a subscription or if you have a current update and support plan I believe you have access to the Pro Limiter, and a bunch of other plugins that are worth having. It's worth checking.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:38 PM

I'm just doing the trial right now. And I'm not really seeing an upside yet compared to Reaper and AA.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:49 PM

Depending on what you are doing there might not be an upside for Pro Tools. I know for me I can't imagine using anything else. I mostly use if for mixing and editing music.