Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Default Volume view toggle does´t work on auxes?

Why is it that the keyboard-shortcut to toggle volume-view on/off doesn't work on aux-tracks?
Once you switch to pan (or any other parameter) view you can not use the short-cut to get back to volume.

Problem is that if you re-cut a reel and your aux-track are not set to volume none of your plug-in automations will conform with the cuts and paste. Only the selected parameter will.

Would be great if the volume toggle short-cut worked on AUXes too.

Frank.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Volume view toggle does´t work on auxes?

An alternate way to do this is to call up the output window for any fader, hold down Command/Option/Control and click on the fader, which will call up volume automation for all types of tracks. This also works for any other control to call up that type of automation on all tracks, with the exception of plugin controls. If you try it on a plugin it'll disable that automation, but it will work for mute automation, all panner functions, send mutes, send pans and send mutes, etc. For plugins you can only call up the automation for a single track using Control/Command click the control.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Frank and GGegan: I've always wondered why it behaved this way, and I find myself doing exactly what GGegan suggests a few times a day. Frank, can you put this on Ideascale? I really don't see any downside to changing this behavior.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:33 PM

+1 Frank,

It makes no sense why the shortcut doesn't work that way. It doesn't do anything else on aux input tracks so why not volume?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 PM

yep, this has been annoying me for years, and years and years.

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
/// Sound Designer/Mixer @ Defacto \\\ Twitter Facebook
Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
+1 Frank,

It makes no sense why the shortcut doesn't work that way. It doesn't do anything else on aux input tracks so why not volume?
Hi guys,

I always expected it to be programmed that way, because an aux doesn't have a "waveform"-view. And as it toggles between "waveform"- and "volume"-view, this shortcut doesn't apply to any other tracks than "audio".

This doesn't mean I like it the way it is, it's just the explanation that I thought caused this shortcut not to work. The workaround mentioned is the best way to make sure all is set as default.

Timothy
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 AM

That's a logic explanation, that the function could not be identical between audio and aux tracks.

Of course I still want to see the new function added.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM

I agree. I think an Aux should work exactly as a audio track.